What kind of coral is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of coral is this?

Can someone tell me what kind of coral this is ?
    Attached Files

Cant tell but looks like a hairy mushroom ???

Comment

Does it move or close up?

Does it extend at night?

Is there bone under the flesh?
      I ate my fish that died.

Comment

To be honest it's only been in there about a week so I don't know much about it as I'm not the one that purchased it and i haven't paid a lot of attention to it. It seemed to not do much until the last day or so. It. Normally stays about the same size and didn't seem to change. Today I noticed after the lights came on it seems to be puffing up and extending. It definitely looks bushier today than it has.

I'm thinking it is a green hairy mushroom.
        Last edited by jsbaker; 04-07-2013, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Re: What kind of coral is this?

+1 definitely a hairy mushroom

Sent from BiGPiNK's Tapatalk

Comment

Is it normal for them to completely close up and shrink to almost nothing when the lights go out? Last night is the first time I've checked it after lights out and I noticed it almost looked like a closed up Zoa. I'm assuming this ir normal but just wanted to make sure as it seems to be doing new things now that it is has been in the tank for a few days.

Comment

Absolutely, nothing to worry about, a reef tank is a completely different place after lights out. There is nothing to worry about they close up at night, I'm guessing for protection, then open up again in the morning. Mushrooms are wierdest though, they can be temperamental when first introduced into a new tank and may well take a good few days to get settled. Keep looking after lights out and when the mushroom is really happy you'll be able to see the little babies it leaves behind!

Comment

Excellent information, thanks for the Help!

Comment

No problem :–) we have a bit of a thing for mushrooms, we have red, green, blue, green rhodactus, orange rhodactus, hairy mushrooms and spotted mushrooms and various ricordia. Even then with all the experience we have with mushrooms, everytime I introduce a new mushroom, i spend a week panicking thinking it's not going to make it as they can spend weeks just looking shriveled and forlorn, then all of a sudden they all perk up when they're finally comfortable and all is well again.... Until I add another one that is ;–) i think of mushrooms like anemones, you have to give them plenty of time for them to make themselves happy, once they're settled in though, they're hardy and trouble free

Comment

It's good to know they are hardy and trouble free. I didn't pick it out and the person that did just did based on it's looks so I had no idea of what to expect from it.

Do you supplemental feed yours?

Comment

Not at all, i sometimes give the nems a Silverside or something , but more for my pleasure than to sustain them. As for mushrooms, not at all, they take care of themselves completely. Good light and good water and they'll spread like weeds

Comment

Working...
                      X