X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• would overflow work or drill its the way to go

Hi Guys I have another question

Like few of you know i am doing a 55g saltwater las thing it come down to

1) can i use 2 overflow in case 1 fail i am still good like a emergency drain

2) i can drill it and make the emergency drain

I ask cause this is a trial tank then i would make a bigger salt water tank (125g) and would be the same question can i get away with 2 overflow hob or it really need to be drill , i think is rare 2 overflows would fail

let me hear you

thanks
    125 gal-P. Kachase,simochromis, vampire pleco,bn pleco,bulldog pleco

55 gal- Ilangis ,clown pleco,abn pleco,rubber lip pleco

55 gal-Canary cheek,Ikola,duboisi, and fry

10 gal -fry tank,snails

would overflow work or drill its the way to go

The hang on backs work by siphon if the siphon breaks doesn't matter if you have 30 of them. Ill always do drilled tanks only just my opinion though

Comment

I prefer drilled. You can't beat the peace of mind especially when dealing with nasty saltwater. If you use two HOBs, make sure your pump is slow enough for one HOB to work. If it pumps faster than just one HOB can drain then you will still have problems if one fails. The benefit to that is they should be quieter if the flow is half of their maximum capacity.
      135 gal Fahaka Puffer
      150 gal Threadfin Acaras, Angels, Red Spotted Severum, Gold Severum, and a Silver Dollar
      185 gal Demasoni, Yellow Labs, Venustus, Rustys, Plecos, Clown Loaches, and Sharks

Comment

Re: would overflow work or drill its the way to go

The only way a hang on type overflow will "fail" is in a power out situation... In those circumstances both overflows WILL fail. Having said that, I use hang on back, just not the standard utube ones. The tom aquarium rapids pro 3 overflow doesn't need an aqua lifter or anything to restart siphon after a power out, it uses venturi action from the built in return line to prime the siphon. As soon as the return pump kicks back in, so does the siphon. Never worried once about it failing or overflowing

Sent from BiGPiNK's Tapatalk

Comment

That's not entirely true. I had a utube hob overflow fail once because the utube had a crack in it, slowly collected air in the top of the utube, and lost siphon. I came home to saltwater running out the front door. I upgraded to a drilled tank after that.
          135 gal Fahaka Puffer
          150 gal Threadfin Acaras, Angels, Red Spotted Severum, Gold Severum, and a Silver Dollar
          185 gal Demasoni, Yellow Labs, Venustus, Rustys, Plecos, Clown Loaches, and Sharks

Comment

Re: would overflow work or drill its the way to go

Well that's true, but assuming there are no defects they shouldn't fail due to anything other than loss of siphon and the biggest culprit is power out. I think the point still stands though, if one fails, chances are, both will

Sent from BiGPiNK's Tapatalk

Comment

It's a good point.
              135 gal Fahaka Puffer

Comment

When I started keeping fish I used a hob overflow box and never had a problem even when power turned off and restarted with no issues. But now all my tanks are drilled with internal and external overflow boxes . Geral if you need to ill drill that tank for you sir. When I bring you the canopy
                Custom Aquarium Cabinets Justin Henry 281-739-8723

Comment

If the tank can be drilled, drill it thats what I would do

Comment

Thanks Justin!!! thank you so much Sir !!!

can wait to see that canopy lol
                    125 gal-P. Kachase,simochromis, vampire pleco,bn pleco,bulldog pleco

55 gal- Ilangis ,clown pleco,abn pleco,rubber lip pleco

55 gal-Canary cheek,Ikola,duboisi, and fry

10 gal -fry tank,snails

Comment

Originally posted by Geral View Post
                      Thanks Justin!!! thank you so much Sir !!!

can wait to see that canopy lol
                      Any time man. Ill come by in the middle of the week

Comment

Are you sure that 55 can be drilled ? Aren't most of them tempered ?

Comment

Originally posted by jsbaker View Post
                          Are you sure that 55 can be drilled ? Aren't most of them tempered ?
                          most of them are that's why you drill the back wall

Comment

Oh I thought all panels were tempered on most of them. I have an older 55 that's says all are and not to drill but don't remember what the aqueon I got during the last dollar per gallon sale said.

Comment

Originally posted by jsbaker View Post
                              Oh I thought all panels were tempered on most of them. I have an older 55 that's says all are and not to drill but don't remember what the aqueon I got during the last dollar per gallon sale said.
                              just the bottoms are tempered that dont temper the veiwing panels

Comment

Working...
                              X