Was gifted a GHA tank, help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was gifted a GHA tank, help

So I picked up a 29gal biocube off a member on here that had it on cl for super cheap, I consider it a gift at the price asked. It came with a couple frags, tons of gsp, a rbta, few assorted snails, and a clown fish. Person that had it was tired of maintenance, hadn't done a water change in 7 months I believe is what he said. Tons of GHA throughout the rocks and along the glass. I brought everything home in buckets including the water. I get everything back in the tank, put the rocks with gha face down to avoid giving it more light to grow and did a 5gal water change after a few days of it running.

It has a diy cree led fixture, very bright! It came a reactor full of nitrate remover and something else, not sure, I went ahead and got that running, planning on getting gho in there though. I added a cpr bak pak skimmer, which kinda sucks, on the look out for a good air pump to do the limewood mod. I also threw some chaeto into the fuge and 3 turbo snails and a blue leg hermit. Tank has quite a bit live rock, barely any live sand and back wall has good algae growth too.

I manually started removing some of the gha on the glass, which hasn't grown back. I removed some off rocks but it still grows back and is showing up in new spots as well. I have it on a 5 hour light period, I leave the light in the fuge for longer though. The skimmer I shut off at night because its too loud to sleep in the same room with it as well as the reactor.

I'm got busy the past week or so, I'm planing on doing regular water changes, maybe 2 per week until I start to see a change. With the limewood mod, I'll be able to leave the skimmer on 24/7, and I do plan on pulling some rocks out and manually scrubbing them as well.

The other option, the tank currently is sitting on the floor because I was in a rush to setup, and didn't have anything strong enough to support it and the PO's stand was too bulky to fit in my car. I'm going to have to take everything out, empty the tank to get it on top of a stand very soon. Should I just do a heavy 50+% water change at that time and put the live rock through a light out phase to kill the gha? I don't mind letting the tank cycle again, I have another small tank I can put the clown fish in. I'm just worried about the corals since they have gha on the plugs and I have a big rock covered in gsp and tid bits of gha. I don't want my other tank to get gha.

Any tips or suggestions, and anyone have a stand/air pump they wouldn't mind selling?

Heres a recent one

Here's how bad it was

Comment

Re: Was gifted a GHA tank, help

Looks like its coming along

*Sent from my little corner of the reef. Nano nano!*

Comment

Add more blue legged hermits! They'll shred the GHA

Comment

Or a lawnmower blenny . They worked best for me.

Comment

Lights off for a few days worked best for me

Comment

FJW has blue legged hermits for about a $1. A bit far from you, but they've also got a lot of other cool fish and corals.

Comment

Fish gallery had then for the same price, ill get a few more. I was worried about the snails getting shell jacked though.

Can't do lights out due to corals and anemone. My big gsp rock is badass

Comment

Buy shells for them.

Comment

u can still do lights out with corals.

its just like nature and thunderstorms. theres not sun shining down when its raining or a hurricane is over them...

Comment

WC is the best solution but make sure you use rodi so no phosphates and other chemicals good for algae is in it. You can also use GFO.
                      Resident fish bum
                      330G FOWLR
                      34G Reef
                      330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                      28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                      Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

I am not sure about the lights-out approach. If lights-out does not kill your coral, is it good enough to kill the GHA and vice versa?

Comment

Good point, I might just do a lights out day every week to not shock anything.

Comment

Well, picked up a stand and manually cleaned every rock of gha and redid KY rock work. Still had a few small amounts of gha I missed, today will be lights out.

Comment

Looks good

Comment

Working...
                              X