New Light Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Light Review

I just got my new light fixture in the mail today from MarineDepot.com. Maxspect Razor 160w 16000k 27" LED fixture to replace my Aquatic Life 6x t5ho fixture. http://www.marinedepot.com/Maxspect_...FILDTF-vi.html

It's very sharp looking. Whole casing acts as an aluminum heat sink, and fans turn on when it reaches a certain temp.

It comes with 7" tall legs and an option hanging kit. I have it over a 36" 40g Breeder tank. It's a perfect fit for this tank. It's stretches up to 48", but I really wouldn't go past 36" due to dead spots. Ideally, I would want this on a 30"-36" tank. For those, like myself, without a controller. It comes with a built in 24h timer with 6 time points throughout the day. Whites and Blues are separate so for example. My day is set up like this:

Midnight: Blue 1%, White 0% (moonlights) - 7am: Blues 20%, White 5% - 10am: Blue 60%, White 30% - Noon: Blue 100%, White 100% - 4pm: Blue 100%, White 100% - 7pm: Blue 80%, White 10% - 10pm: Blue 1%, White 0%

It's all gradual dimming between the time periods. very customizable with what you can accomplish with the timer.

The quality of these LEDs is top notch, Cree XTE/XPE, very nice colors and a wide range of spectrums. Blues are set up with 465-485nm Blue, 450-465nm Royal Blue, and 410-420nm Super Actinic. And whites are 8000k Cool White with 3000k Warm White, and whites have a couple Royal Blues added in as well. Overall look is 16000k with everything at 100%. Now, if you're used to t5ho's, it is a big difference. I'm used to my whole tank glowing, every single inch of it being lit up a consistent color. This is a little different, the whole room doesn't glow, very nice shimmer, but man... the cool of corals is amazing!

I wish I could take better pictures of blues, but my camera goes nuts with a certain amount of blue. Like most LEDs, whites are for growth, blues are for aesthetics. When I first tossed it on my tank and turned it on, played with it a little, I was kind of happy with it. The moment I turned whites mostly down and just blues were on... Done. I was sold right there. The colors of all corals just popped. Rock wasn't even visible but the greens and reds of the coral glowed.

Everything 60%

Blue 60%, whites 10%

Blue 100%, whites 0%

The pics are hideous compared to in person. But yeah, blues and cheap cameras don't go well.

All in all, I am VERY happy!
    Last edited by Andrew_B; 03-09-2013, 03:27 AM.

That is one expensive light u got there looks bad arse !!!

Comment

New Light Review

Looks sweet I'm still an ecotech fan boy
      Resident fish bum
      330G FOWLR
      34G Reef
      330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
      28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
      Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Very nice light but be careful from what ive read your supposed gradually up the power on the leds over a few weeks to aclimate the corals to the new light or you can bleach your corals

Comment

Yeah Darbex, I tried to go that route or AI/ecoxotics but the problem is with a 36" tank. Seems like most led fixtures cover say a 24" cube. It meant that I would need 2 to cover my 36" tank and run them on a lower power. Not many single fixtures to choose from for a 36" tank.

Johnny, right now Im just running them manually at 30-40%. I'll switch it over to my programmed timer in a few days once they get used to it

Comment

Working...
          X