• Show
Clear All

• Light for a 55g

Hi I am looking for a light for a 55g

And can't decide wicht way to go

T5 HO
    Or
    LEDs.

I want the light able to grow anything just in case in the future wanna try something diff than low light corals

Thanks
    Last edited by Geral; 03-03-2013, 02:39 PM.
    125 gal-P. Kachase,simochromis, vampire pleco,bn pleco,bulldog pleco

55 gal- Ilangis ,clown pleco,abn pleco,rubber lip pleco

55 gal-Canary cheek,Ikola,duboisi, and fry

10 gal -fry tank,snails

Is odyssea.t5 HO 4x56w a good light

I saw a current USA 8 bulbs t5ho for $250 is that a good price?

10 gal -fry tank,snails

Comment

You wanna grow anything . Go with halides.

Comment

90g is a pretty tall tank, you would probably need MH or some real beefy leds

Comment

Also, that 250.00 for the 8 bulb fixture is pretty good if everything works. Downfall, you'll need to spend 200.00 on new bulbs every 8-10 months

Comment

If it's an Odyssea with an external ballast stay far away from it. They've had problems with ballasts randomly burning for a few years. I bought one six months ago and it almost burned down the tank stand after 3 months so they obviously haven't fixed the problem. I don't know about the models they have with internal ballasts but I make it a habit now to not buying anything made by them.

Comment

MH > LED > everything else. Like andrew said, 90g is a pretty tall tank. You need something that will penetrate the water well and help the corals grow. I would go MH and not waste your time.

Comment

Ecotech radion xr30w 2 of them should do the trick

Comment

Id go T5s ho or halides

Comment

I'd say if ur gonna blow money on replacing bulbs for t5 just get some nice leds

Comment

LED is cost more in the beginning but that's the only thing you will pay for very long time.

Comment

You can grow anything you like with hot5's. In my last tank I ran the basic Tek 4 bulb 4 foot HoT5's and I kept some of the more difficult sps out there, and was also able to incorporate lps into the mix as well. I am assuming that your 90 gallon is the standard one, so depth will not be a issue.
                        Former owner for years of a custom 125g Saltwater tank, full of SPS, Zoes, Softies, and lots of fish. Then I moved . . . Now time to go bigger and better

Comment

Yes is a standard 90g

10 gal -fry tank,snails

Comment

Hi guys i change my mind and gonna start with a tank i already have since space is a problem ,

would you go leds still if it was a 55g tank intead of a taller 90

btw i am looking for grow anything in the future in that setup

thanks

10 gal -fry tank,snails

Comment

Leds would work just fine on any size tank

Comment

Working...
                              X