Cyano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cyano

Tank is getting hit with a couple small spots of Cyanobacteria. 2 areas that are maybe 1"x3" so It's not covering over yet.

What causes this stuff to spread? I haven't had it yet, must've skipped over it during the cycle process 6 months ago. The last 4-5 months I haven't had any algae except the occasional scraping of class. I have a pretty... ambitious light cycle. Does Cyano thrive with light? I read that it does very well in dead spots of the tank, but I have a patch growing right in one of the main flow areas of tank in front.

Does anyone know about BioPellets? I run a biopellet reactor and I noticed lately that they're just not flowing like they used to. I read a while back that you never actually replace the media outside of topping the reactor off since the media breaks down over time. I have a new pump with double the gph on the way, so I'm hoping that this is the problem. When it was running in it's prime a couple months ago, algae was non-existant.

Any thoughts? I kind of just tossed around a few questions in there.

Thanks!

What brand of bio pellets are you using?

Comment

Just the BRS Biopellets. I'll upgrade with my next container of them. This batch has been running for 4 months or so. Think they're depleted maybe? Early on, the media shrunk over time, but there hasn't been any changes in the last 2 months or so. I'm hoping a bigger pump will help the movement

Comment

During my 150g tank startup cycle, I dealt with cyano & did reduce my lights timing as well as used coral snow (korallen-zucht)to rid of it. The combination worked well for me. BRS has it if you are ordering from them anyway. FJW is where I got mine locally. Love what coral snow does for the water so I still use every 5-7 days & livestock responds well. V
        "There will come a time when you have a chance to do the right thing."
        "I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by. "
        -Dead Man's Chest

Comment

I got a sample (still got a lot left since my tank is so tiny) and I agree with V, it's amazing stuff!

never had any algae grow in my tank since the start up, not even diatoms.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

And that stuff has no ill effect on coralline? A bit pricey, does it generally last a while? What does dosing instructions look like?

Comment

Cyano

Chemi clean worked for me.

Comment

It lists 1ml per 25gallon per day. I used per instructions for 4 days to knock cyano & reduced lights. After that I used for alternate days for 3 more dosages. Now I use once a week for sure because all the livestock love it Besides water clarity shortly after use is amazing. Have not had any cyano come back since.
                Your tank may vary of course. But I read gobs of reviews as well as the site info before trying / don't care to chance harming the system. Did not show any thing negative to the coralline
                good luck. V
                "There will come a time when you have a chance to do the right thing."
                "I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by. "
                -Dead Man's Chest

Comment

I've heard nothing but great things about KZ Coral Snow. Will be trying it myself, soon.

Cyano is bacteria. Sometimes just stirring it up helps rid of it. Gentle flow over the dead spot. Running a little GFO while using the biopellets (do your homework though) sometimes helps. Just running the biopellets alone puts you in a different category so it's hard to dissect your root cause.

Comment

Hmm, most of the stuff I've read said that using GFO and biopellets is counterproductive since they won't deplete phosphates, but GFO just soaks it and and that it will fuel biopellets. I used both for a few weeks starting out, but I didn't notice any changes until I turned off the GFO. I still have my GFO reactor ready to go, just not being run. I'll probably order some Coral Snow, seems less risky than messing with GFO again

Comment

Re: Cyano

Stronger flow and shorter photo period helps.

*Sent from my little corner of the reef. Nano nano!*

Comment

Re: Cyano

Originally posted by Andrew_B View Post
                        Hmm, most of the stuff I've read said that using GFO and biopellets is counterproductive since they won't deplete phosphates, but GFO just soaks it and and that it will fuel biopellets. I used both for a few weeks starting out, but I didn't notice any changes until I turned off the GFO. I still have my GFO reactor ready to go, just not being run. I'll probably order some Coral Snow, seems less risky than messing with GFO again
                        I hear you, and agree. I don't run anything but a large display refugium. Carbon from time to time, filter sock from time to time too... How old it's your tank? I know I had cyano issues for a couple of weeks, but it was just NTS (new tank syndrome). :) NTS hits hard with any system changes as well a being under 6 months old. I don't believe in a fully mature tank until a year goes by... At least... And cyano will come and go as the tank gets comfortable. The absolute best way to rid of it is to let the tank run it's course, and siphon the stuff out every few days. Unfortunately, that's reefing.

On the flip, isn't funny how some people just jump right in to the game and have zero issues from the get go?! You can't really get a good assessment from them because they have no idea what they are doing to keep everything so clean. :sigh:

Comment

My tank has been running (well, live rock since may), then I had maybe 3 months of hell with hair algae, then flatworms, then fighting a crash after using flatworm exit, hah. Never ending! Last 4-5 months have been good, tank looking very nice and steady with no algae other than a little on the glass. Just getting some small cyano spots now. It will probably go away once I get this new pump on my biopellet reactor. The maxijet powerhead I had on it to this point just doesn't have enough umph. In 2 weeks or so, if I don't see any improvement, I'll go ahead and order that Coral snow stuff and use that

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew_B View Post
                            The GFO worked for me.
                            My tank had red slime/ cyano/ brown algae big time for a year+. Nothing worked until I used the GFO from BRS. I changed the GFO out 3 times, once a month and got rid of the slime and it has not come back in a year+.

Comment

Got my coral snow the other day, not sure how it is affecting the Cyano but man, its awesome stuff! A guy from another forum hit it on the head "Coral Snow turns the water a milky white... then makes the water disappear."

Comment

Working...
                              X