Shellies and a Fahaka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shellies and a Fahaka

Has anybody tried putting shellies in with a fahaka? I'm curious if it would work. They sleep in the shells so they wouldn't be out in the open while they sleep and even if the puffer did go after the shell they could hide in another one and it wouldn't kill them if the shell got chewed up a bit. The escargot shells are too big for a single bite and shellies are pretty quick anyway.

Thoughts?
    135 gal Fahaka Puffer
    150 gal Threadfin Acaras, Angels, Red Spotted Severum, Gold Severum, and a Silver Dollar
    185 gal Demasoni, Yellow Labs, Venustus, Rustys, Plecos, Clown Loaches, and Sharks

Yeah, I don't think that'd work out, honestly. I don't know about your fahaka, but ANY shells in Suki's tank would be set upon, hunted, hounded.... living under that kind of stress wouldn't be good for the shellies, even if they didn't get munched.

And even if Suki couldn't get through in one bite, she'd keep trying until she did...or chipped a tooth.
    "I think that God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability." -Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by LooksLater View Post
      Yeah, I don't think that'd work out, honestly. I don't know about your fahaka, but ANY shells in Suki's tank would be set upon, hunted, hounded.... living under that kind of stress wouldn't be good for the shellies, even if they didn't get munched.

And even if Suki couldn't get through in one bite, she'd keep trying until she did...or chipped a tooth.
      +1 Once Suki gets her mind set on something she will not let up. I imagine those Escargot shells would not last to an interested and determined puffer...
      In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
      Desiderius Erasmus
      GHAC President

Comment

I had a parrot and a salvini in with my puffer for a few months. The parrot was fine until I got busy and didn't feed for a few days. I came home to part of the parrot being stuck in his mouth and the attached half of his body floating above like the puffer was holding a balloon. The salvini jumped out a few weeks after that. I may put a few empty shells in the tank to see how he reacts. Then again he has IPs right now and I'm treating him so after that gets worked out his demeanor may change towards prey.
        135 gal Fahaka Puffer
        150 gal Threadfin Acaras, Angels, Red Spotted Severum, Gold Severum, and a Silver Dollar
        185 gal Demasoni, Yellow Labs, Venustus, Rustys, Plecos, Clown Loaches, and Sharks

Comment

Re: Shellies and a Fahaka

Man I'm not gonna lie, I can't keep anything in with my puffer. I feed mine once every 2-3 days and I know if there was something in there he could catch after one day of no food he would be going after it like a hound dog. You can do what you want, but i suggest buying the colony of shellies and shells, bring them by my house, let me have them, take one shellie and shell and try that out first lmao. Bo seriously though, you can do what you want but I can honestly say that it wouldn't work for me.
          20g mixed reef

Comment

Do you need some more meds? I've got tons of Jungle parasite clear around here somewhere I'll never use...

And sorry to de-rail, Beefy... But Nightster, did I see on one of your old threads you had giant danios in with yours for awhile? How long did that last? I'm assuming he got ahold of them eventually...
            "I think that God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability." -Oscar Wilde

Comment

True but I have several plecos in with mine while you haven't been able to keep any with yours. I actually have a couple shellies that hid when I sold mine and a bunch of shells. I was just curious what others thought but I'm not gonna do it. Shellies are too awesome to waste.
              135 gal Fahaka Puffer

Comment

I've got a big thing of metro. Thanks though.
                135 gal Fahaka Puffer

Comment

Sasha, I'll take them JLPC tabs since Matt passed them.
                  http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

Originally posted by BeefyG View Post
                    True but I have several plecos in with mine while you haven't been able to keep any with yours. I actually have a couple shellies that hid when I sold mine and a bunch of shells. I was just curious what others thought but I'm not gonna do it. Shellies are too awesome to waste.
                    Yeah, you know it all depends on your puffer. If he's cool with plecos and not crazy about snails, it might work. Totally up to you!

Originally posted by SunnyHouTX View Post
                    Sasha, I'll take them JLPC tabs since Matt passed them.
                    No prob Sunny, I'll hunt 'em down and bring them to the meeting!

Comment

I would say no.

I had my MBU with in my Tanganyikan tank with petros/tropheus/featherfins/Shellies and when it got hungry it started to crunch the shells the shellies was living in. It never went after the shellies themselves but since they seek refuge in the shells it was an easy meal.

The puffers are a curious sp. and I have yet to see one turn down a shell.
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa View Post
                        I would say no.

I had my MBU with in my Tanganyikan tank with petros/tropheus/featherfins/Shellies and when it got hungry it started to crunch the shells the shellies was living in. It never went after the shellies themselves but since they seek refuge in the shells it was an easy meal.

The puffers are a curious sp. and I have yet to see one turn down a shell.
                        Why am I not suprised that you have already tried it? lol

Thanks. Thats the final nail in the coffin for the idea. I'm about to upgrade my puffer's tank and although I know better I have this knee jerk reaction that a tank that size needs more than one fish in it.
                        135 gal Fahaka Puffer

Comment

The Fahaka has a completely different temperment from the MBU, which of course does not work in your favor.

I think for the fahaka you need something that will school in numbers, constantly moving and big enough where if it got caught it wouldn't be life and death.
                          Also something that won't take advantage of the puffy ball floating around.

Silver dollars perhaps?
                          Tinfoil barbs
                          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I've got two silver dollars already. I've got angels too but the trailing fins might be an enticement.
                            135 gal Fahaka Puffer

Comment

My fahaka has never caught the giant danios in my tank, they do however jump out lol.
                              20g mixed reef

Comment

Working...
                              X