New "Jumbo" Betta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New "Jumbo" Betta

I was gifted a "Jumbo" Betta by a friend. It came from Extreme Fish and Pets. The guy at the shop said it was imported from Thailand. They also said the Jumbos are supposed to be Giants but I don't know. He is 3" long from tip of his nose to the end of his tail. He weighs 3.0 Grams, about twice what my half-moon plakat weighs and three times what my females weigh. He's really nice looking though:

I named him Fezzik. You get bonus points if you know the reference.

Very pretty. Is it full grown?
    Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

I don't know, the guy at the shop didn't know exactly how old his Bettas were. The Blue betta in the picture is 8-9 months old. I'm not sure if there is a way to judge age by appearance but I wouldn't think there would be. He's old enough to be making a bubble nest, so I guess he's at least 4 months old. XD

Comment

we sold these at petco labeled as "king bettas". they were priced at 19.99$. when i first discovered them, i did a bunch of research, and as far as i can tell, they are still betta splendens, just line bred to be larger. i have had several, and absolutely love them. here's a pic of one of mine.

my fish house:
        2.5g- ramshorn hatchery
        6g eclipse- yellow shrimp, chili rasboras, yellow apple snails
        29g- geo grow-out, angels, 12"fire eel, dwarf frog, apple snails
        45g- jade sleeper gobies, native killifish, feeder endlers

75g-
        2 oscars, parrot, silver dollars, albino channel cat, syno euptera, bichir, baby jaguar, convicts, yabby
        125g- fahaka puffer, rainbow shark
        and about a dozen bettas....

Comment

Originally posted by DaiMasters View Post

I named him Fezzik. You get bonus points if you know the reference.

andre the giant
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Nice pick up dude! I have been on the hunt for a true giant but damn they get pricey when you order the giant genetics. Not looking to drop 60 bucks on a betta. I am goin to extreme after work so I will have to peep them out see if they have any left.

Comment

Re: New "Jumbo" Betta

Originally posted by TheHighestCrew View Post
              Nice pick up dude! I have been on the hunt for a true giant but damn they get pricey when you order the giant genetics. Not looking to drop 60 bucks on a betta. I am goin to extreme after work so I will have to peep them out see if they have any left.
              $60? You must definitely be looking in the wrong place...

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

Comment

Originally posted by mistahoo View Post
                $60? You must definitely be looking in the wrong place...

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.
                30$ on aquabid then about 30-40 more for trans-shipping. Do you know a local place to buy them on the cheap?

Comment

petco, 19.99$. they call them "king bettas"
                  my fish house:
                  2.5g- ramshorn hatchery
                  6g eclipse- yellow shrimp, chili rasboras, yellow apple snails
                  29g- geo grow-out, angels, 12"fire eel, dwarf frog, apple snails
                  45g- jade sleeper gobies, native killifish, feeder endlers

75g-
                  2 oscars, parrot, silver dollars, albino channel cat, syno euptera, bichir, baby jaguar, convicts, yabby
                  125g- fahaka puffer, rainbow shark
                  and about a dozen bettas....

Comment

From what I've researched all giant bettas are just betta splendens line bred for size. They first showed up on the scene in like 2002 in Florida and the biggest one I've heard of was 7" [nose to tip of tail]. The biggest one I've seen is the one in the images on this page:

Apparently The plakats, halfmoon or otherwise, get around 3-4" long including the tail and the Longer finned varieties get 5-7" long.

I first heard about King Bettas when working at Petco as well. After googling them and finding out about Giants I've been wanting to find a true giant. Apparently the only way to get one and be sure is to order it from aqua-bid.

Originally posted by eklikewhoa View Post
                    andre the giant

You win! =D

They should, they had quite a few. My friend and I spent a while comparing and selecting this one for his size and color. They call them "Jumbo Short-finned" and are $6.99.

30$ on aquabid then about 30-40 more for trans-shipping. Do you know a local place to buy them on the cheap?
                    If you're buying for a breeder it can be worth it. I've not ordered from aquabid but I plan to.. I wonder if these sellers offer pedigrees with their fish. It'd be neat to see like seven generations back what all went into the fish you were ordering. It'd also make breeding a bit more predictable.

Comment

Originally posted by allysangels View Post
                      petco, 19.99$. they call them "king bettas"
                      I have had a king before, I meant a true giant. I think the bloodline comes out of Thailand.

Comment

Originally posted by DaiMasters View Post
                        From what I've researched all giant bettas are just betta splendens line bred for size. They first showed up on the scene in like 2002 in Florida and the biggest one I've heard of was 7" [nose to tip of tail]. The biggest one I've seen is the one in the images on this page:

Apparently The plakats, halfmoon or otherwise, get around 3-4" long including the tail and the Longer finned varieties get 5-7" long.

I first heard about King Bettas when working at Petco as well. After googling them and finding out about Giants I've been wanting to find a true giant. Apparently the only way to get one and be sure is to order it from aqua-bid.

You win! =D

They should, they had quite a few. My friend and I spent a while comparing and selecting this one for his size and color. They call them "Jumbo Short-finned" and are $6.99.

If you're buying for a breeder it can be worth it. I've not ordered from aquabid but I plan to.. I wonder if these sellers offer pedigrees with their fish. It'd be neat to see like seven generations back what all went into the fish you were ordering. It'd also make breeding a bit more predictable.
                        Yep those are the ones. Some of the pictures of the fish they use to compete in fish shows are mind blowing. Never imagined a betta could get that big.

Comment

I have had a king before, I meant a true giant. I think the bloodline comes out of Thailand.
                          They do, Extreme claims that theirs are all imported from Thailand. I've no reason to not believe them, but being the skeptic I am I have my doubts. I've also heard that their Jumbos are Giants. One thing I've read about true Giants is that some of them seem normal sized until they hit 8 months old then they hit a growth spurt and explode in size. Though that's just here-say.

Yep those are the ones. Some of the pictures of the fish they use to compete in fish shows are mind blowing. Never imagined a betta could get that big.
                          I know, that plakat is HUGE, that's what I want. The ones I've seen on aquabid are around 3" long, and many are very young, like 3-4 months. But that transhipping charge on top of local shipping and the cost of fish makes me hesitate on ordering one. I do not want to drop nearly 100$ on a "Giant" that turns out to not be a giant.

Comment

I'd say 90% of all bettas comes from Thailand, other 9% from Indonesia. It's a big deal there.

Comment

Pretty much all bettas come from Thailand, even the ones at petco/smart.

Originally posted by allysangels View Post
                              we sold these at petco labeled as "king bettas". they were priced at 19.99$. when i first discovered them, i did a bunch of research, and as far as i can tell, they are still betta splendens, just line bred to be larger. i have had several, and absolutely love them. here's a pic of one of mine.
                              I think the king and the giant are the same, but I am not positive. Good luck finding giant females for sale. For those interested, you can order them through Coast Tropicals if you are store. I actually imported a bunch of these from Thailand and bred some. I wish I would see the long fin versions of the giants for sale in the US. I would love to breed those.

Comment

Working...
                              X