anemone question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anemone question

i want to add a couple bubble tip anemone to my 40g breeder. what are the basic to have and to know for keeping them. always wanted them but was told they can wipe out the whole system if they die. livestock in tank are

fish:
    3 clown
    1 flame angel
    1 yellow tang
    2 firefish
    2 watchman
    2 chromis

corals:
    bunch of zoa
    pompom xenia
    frogspawn
    hammer
    candy cane
    leathers
    acan frags
    GSP
    brain

inverts:
    1 banded shrimp
    2 cleaner shrimp
    few peppermint shrimp
    few hermit crabs
    few snails.

i have green/red/purple in mine... havent had any issues and my green one split already! i target feed and feed them market shrimp too!

Comment

Originally posted by madehtsobi View Post
      i have green/red/purple in mine... havent had any issues and my green one split already! i target feed and feed them market shrimp too!
      so no special care is needed? im worried about to killing my other corals or getting in the power head

Comment

when it first introduce to the tank, anemone will find place to stay. It may moving all around the tank to find the place the anemone like. You may want to watch the coral and the powerhead, because anemone will sting corals and shred into million pieces if it swallowed by the powerhead and could ruin the whole system

Comment

Nothing you can do about that. They arent any harder than LPS. But you run the risk if they arent happy they will move or free float. I have had one kill a huge Elegance coral because it decided to move and went next to the elegance. One way to make sure that they dont walk is to surround it with Hammers/Frogspawn there sting is stronger than the nem. But that doesnt stop them from releasing into the water column which poses the chop suey problem. If you get mesh protectors around the pump then you will be fine. MPs come with them but they will need to be cleaned every so often. Carpet nems are less likely to walk off from what I have seen.
          Resident fish bum
          330G FOWLR
          34G Reef
          330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
          28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
          Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

I've covered koralias with panty hose, works good to keep them out of the power head.
            20g mixed reef

Comment

yeh ive been lucky where they just stick themselves into rock work where there is less flow and light...at least thats what ive seen in mine..

Comment

Originally posted by nightster View Post
                I've covered koralias with panty hose, works good to keep them out of the power head.
                how often did you have to clean it out or swap it out with some new ones

Comment

That will depend on you and your system.
                  Resident fish bum
                  330G FOWLR
                  34G Reef
                  Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Originally posted by Darbex View Post
                    That will depend on you and your system.
                    +1
                    20g mixed reef

Comment

so on the safer side i should move my frogspawn and hammer near the ph so it wont go around that area?

Comment

hammers n frogs dont like direct flow or too much current...

Comment

Originally posted by madehtsobi View Post
                          hammers n frogs dont like direct flow or too much current...
                          do you have any anemone that you would like to sell? saw some gbta at fish gallery for 30$ thinking about getting 2 of that

Comment

Originally posted by johnnytrinh View Post
                            do you have any anemone that you would like to sell? saw some gbta at fish gallery for 30$ thinking about getting 2 of that

not at the moment....

theres some guy on CL that sells RBTA for like 30 as well...

heres the link

Last edited by madehtsobi; 01-14-2013, 02:04 PM.

Comment

The nem can detach completely and float in the water column and get sucked into the ph so putting the hammers near there wont do anything. My comment on hammers was so that they wont walk away because they will get stung and stay put. I noticed this in my tank when my nem tried to move towards a hammer. I got jacked up at the spots that where closest to the hammer after that it went back to its original spot healed back up and then decided to try to move in a different direction. I thought Elegances being in the Euphyllia family with hammers would do the same thing but I was wrong they arent as powerful. And that guy on CL is the guy I had gotten my RBTA from. Very cool guy.
                              Resident fish bum
                              330G FOWLR
                              34G Reef
                              Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Working...
                              X