Need Some Advice Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Some Advice Please

Im new to this internet fish forum thing but i have decided to give it a shot considering i dont have many options. I just bought a blue hippo yesterday and he consistently keeps trying to wedge himself between the glass and the pump inlet on my skimmer and gets stuck to the pump. It happened twice last night and I finally decided to rig something temporarily by cutting a straw in half and wedging it in so it is blocked off. Unfortunately this will only last so long. The fish could have something wrong with him, not really sure though b/c sometimes he looks sick sitting in the corner of the tank and other times looks quite healthy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

What other fish do you have with him..... Is he being picked on or harrassed. I have a dominoe damsel that has killed 3 new fish stressed one to death and jumped 2 outta the tank and it all happened with the lights out for me

Comment

Right now I have a mandarin goby and a blenny that never comes out of the rocks. We did have a yellowtail damsel when we first added him but we removed him b/c it was trying to harass the tang. He gets stuck all on his own so that's kinda why I think he might be sick. should i just go ahead and take him out and put it in another tank or what. I have a 10 gallon I can fill up to put it in but I'm not sure what all I need to do first before I put it in.

Comment

Does he eat ok you could try a breeder basket keep him in there or the quarenteen tank on his own till hes swimming good and eating right a few days and then reintroduce him

Comment

Originally posted by Bennetsen View Post
          Im new to this internet fish forum thing but i have decided to give it a shot considering i dont have many options. I just bought a blue hippo yesterday and he consistently keeps trying to wedge himself between the glass and the pump inlet on my skimmer and gets stuck to the pump. It happened twice last night and I finally decided to rig something temporarily by cutting a straw in half and wedging it in so it is blocked off. Unfortunately this will only last so long. The fish could have something wrong with him, not really sure though b/c sometimes he looks sick sitting in the corner of the tank and other times looks quite healthy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
          Blue Hippo tang likes to wedge itself between rocks when it is new and/or scared. A new tang may wedge itself in one crack for hours. It may move to a different crack and can hide for days before it would come out and swim in the open. It can scrape up its body on the rocks and looks real bad so it could be normal.
          On the other hand, you have to pay attention to other things in the tank and make sure nothing else is stressing it out. Water parameters, a mean fish ...

Comment

I would QT him in his own little tank for awhile. Add some cut PVC to give him areas to hide. After 5-6 weeks, reintroduce him to the new tank, just as stated above. The damsel may have scared the bejesus out of him, and that's hard for them to shake, when juvi's.

I have a little guy that still a bit skittish in my tank. But, he's coming around. The QT is your friend here.

Comment

I agree with flipside QT is your friend.

Comment

Working...
              X