Need Puffer advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Puffer advise

I know there used to be some hardcore puffer hobbiest out there so I'm reaching out to you. I have a client that wants puffers and is willing to do whatever it takes to get them. The tank is 4'x4'x30" tall. She wants a mbu puffer but also wants the infamous crossriver and possibly Duboisi puffer...can this be done? If there are enough distraction fish can these fish be housed together(given that I'm capable of tracking them down)??? If not are there puffers that are compatible???
    250gallon-Wild Angels, community

I think it'll depend on the specific puffers personality. When I had my MBU, he never hurt another fish. Others have different reports. Please keep us posted and let us know how this project goes.
    30Long: L134 Leopard Frog Plecos X16, Corydoras Sterbai X9, Endlers X4

Small ADA nano (~8gal): ... BKK or OEBT breeding tank in the works!

75g Craigslist Special: In the works...

Comment

This is interesting. MBU's get pretty big and so do cross river's but I think duboisi only get 4 inches. So 2 monsters and one mini monster, in about 300g. This could turn out very cool or very bad.
      I really like the colors on the cross river...
      Keep us posted...
      Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Re: Need Puffer advise

4'x4' enough swimming room for an MBU?
        20g mixed reef

Comment

Hmmm....

My recommendation would be a Cross River or Mbu, though a Cross would be preffered as they are a bit smaller (Fahaka size and temperment from what little I have read via accounts). Given a Cross Rivers rarity in the hobby (Fish Gallery had one a few years back and I think Matress Mack's wife ended up with it) and cost (I've seen a few estimates between a grand and quite a bit more) I'd be wary of placing anything in the tank with it if it were me. With that size tank a Mbu is reasonable (the 1000 gallon req. is hooey, though they do need massive filtration and space) and they are actually found in lake Tanganyika, so working within the size limits of its mouth would be the only issues I see. As to housing any other puffers with them.... again its really trial and error based upon the tenacity and demeanor of the puffers. I know Fahakas will eventually shred each other in even large systems (read an account of someone trying with 3 in a 1000 gallon system, grown from small sizes together and they shredded each other at about 14" leaving a lone survivor) I have meyself never heard of anyone keeping Mbu's together, but very few aquarists have the space and money to attempt that. I imagine the Duibosi would eventually be attacked by the larger puffers just due to size.
          In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
          Desiderius Erasmus
          GHAC President

Comment

thx for all the advice...Im start my hunt for a healthy good sized cross river and hopefully I can find one. An MBU wont be hard to find at all. Will cross the Duboisi off the list and just move past that idea. Any tank mates ideas??? Im thinking maybe Petricola cats Congo tetras, Roseline sharks, maybe clown loaches. Throw some ideas at me. maybe a blue crawfish(hehehe...jk)!!!

Comment

I would avoid loaches as they eat snails also, as well as being much faster than puffers

Comment

Here is a link to a list of species found in the Cross river. I would imagine that anything similar might work if large enough to not be viewed as food. They are found with some various synodont species, so most would work well. With a tank that size, maybe something like Synodontis Granulosa for a true showcase tank would be impressive and be large enough to avoid any temptation to try and eat it. A school of African red eye tetras or some of the african barbs coud work. I know the Distochodus and Ctenopomas are also on that list and if large enough could work.
                In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
                Desiderius Erasmus
                GHAC President

Comment

Sweet, nice link

Comment

Working...
                  X