sps corals losing color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sps corals losing color

I have a pink bird nest frag. When I got it, it was pink but now it looks brown. My lighting is 3x250 mh. My question is will the color come back? Is my lights too strong?

sps corals losing color

What's ur tank parameters calcium nitrates ammonia tempature swing lighting schedule

Comment

Originally posted by aesl1982 View Post
      What's ur tank parameters calcium nitrates ammonia tempature swing lighting schedule
      Calcium is at 450. Nitrates is at .25. Ammonia is at 0. Temp swing is about 77-80. My lighting schedule is antinic comes on at 12 pm to 2pm. MH comes on at 1pm to 7pm. Antinic comes back on at 6pm to 8pm

Comment

sps corals losing color

My guess would be either it's still acclimating to your tank or its not happy with flow placement. Not an expert by any means though

Comment

How long have you had the coral. Have you checked your magnesium level. Any recent changes in salt water mix. What color temp are your halides?
          My fish has no eye, he is called "fsh"

Comment

Originally posted by Bakapuma View Post
            How long have you had the coral. Have you checked your magnesium level. Any recent changes in salt water mix. What color temp are your halides?
            I've had the coral for about 1 month. Its getting bigger but its losing color. My mag =1360, alK=11.8. I did change my salt mix ( was told that it wouldn't hurt). How do you find out the color temp on the halides (never heard of it)??

Comment

10k 14k 20k bulbs are the color temp

Comment

Originally posted by johnnymisty View Post
                10k 14k 20k bulbs are the color temp
                Where can I look to find out?? On the bulbs or ballast??

Comment

It should be on the bulb

Comment

Other than not know what color temp your lights are. Your coral is aclimating to the new tank and new salt mix. Give it some time. Lighting makes a big differnce. If you are 10k then you are going to see great growth but not much color. 14k is kind of the in the middle. Great color pop normally comes form 20k. You could always supplement with actinic pc, t5 or vho if you want both color pop and growth. I am currently running 14 k 250mh with 180 watt pc actinic on my 54 corner tank. I like the 420 nm actinics best. the 460 actinics are more blue, the 420 is more violet.
                    My fish has no eye, he is called "fsh"

Comment

Originally posted by Bakapuma View Post
                      Other than not know what color temp your lights are. Your coral is aclimating to the new tank and new salt mix. Give it some time. Lighting makes a big differnce. If you are 10k then you are going to see great growth but not much color. 14k is kind of the in the middle. Great color pop normally comes form 20k. You could always supplement with actinic pc, t5 or vho if you want both color pop and growth. I am currently running 14 k 250mh with 180 watt pc actinic on my 54 corner tank. I like the 420 nm actinics best. the 460 actinics are more blue, the 420 is more violet.
                      I just checked my bulbs and I have 10k. Going to the LFS to see if they have any 14k bulbs.

Comment

check your PO4 first lighting may not be the problem

Comment

Originally posted by jbueno View Post
                          check your PO4 first lighting may not be the problem
                          My phos is at .5....

Comment

try to lower it, do you use gfo, microalge some type of expor machanisms ?

Comment

Originally posted by jbueno View Post
                              try to lower it, do you use gfo, microalge some type of expor machanisms ?
                              I have cheato and red mangroves in my fuge. But the mangroves just started its root system.

Comment

Working...
                              X