Clipping Puffer Teeth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clipping Puffer Teeth

My pea puffer died yesterday. Jumped out of the tank while I was gone. I got me an Asellus puffer today, did a little research on these guys and read something about manually clipping the teeth. Anyone done this before?
    Will trade Fish Stuff for Camera Lens and Anime Figures.

Sounds risky! I'd just feed them some snails or frozen shrimp to grind down their chompers

Comment

I have had quite a few and they certainly need attention. Great puffers and well behaved, but they will need attention every 6 months or so. Their are numerous sites and vids online and it is not that difficult.
      In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
      Desiderius Erasmus
      GHAC President

Comment

Re: Clipping Puffer Teeth

Youtubes are notorious for making things look easy.
        30Long: L134 Leopard Frog Plecos X16, Corydoras Sterbai X9, Endlers X4

Small ADA nano (~8gal): ... BKK or OEBT breeding tank in the works!

75g Craigslist Special: In the works...

Comment

do they need maintenance even if you feed them plenty of crunchy foods?
          75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
          28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
          12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
          29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
          45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
          33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

Originally posted by Totenkampf View Post
            do they need maintenance even if you feed them plenty of crunchy foods?
            +1! Curious to know as well. I thought a lot of crunchy stuff would grind it down enough. Is it not enough?

Comment

I thought that's how it would be also since they can't get it done manually in nature

Comment

I was unsuccessful in keeping them trimmed with crunchy diet fare. I fed them quite a bit of snails and various other fare and every one of mine had issues (I have kept 8 over the years). They are quite peaceful and decent compared to other puffers, but they are the worst when it comes to growing teeth. I can only assume that hard shelled molluscs must be 80-100% of their diet in the wild. I have never met anyone that had them long term without dealing with their teeth. Most eventually starve to death as their teeth become overgrown and eventually they waste away. They do work great in groups and are behaved enough for a community SA tank that lacks bite sized tankmates.
                Desiderius Erasmus
                GHAC President

Comment

As to clipping their teeth, the most effective technique I used was netting them and isoalting them to a smaller container with about a liter of water in it. Add in 1-2 drops of clove oil and when they became less frantic and calmed a bit, I would simply remove them slightly from the water and clip their teeth with finger nail clippers. I imagine it could be done without the clove oil if you preferred, and done semi annually it is far easier then it sounds.
                  Desiderius Erasmus
                  GHAC President

Comment

You sir are one brave man. I would sh*t my pants trying to get anywhere near those chompers.

Comment

i saw a youtube video where the guy had his trained to swim into his hand and smile. so roy, do you not ever worry about them puffing up when they are exposed to air? i thought that i had read that you never remove them from water, is that overcautious in your opinion?
                      75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
                      28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
                      12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
                      29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
                      45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
                      33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

I think "never remove from water" is a little too cautious haha but it would be cool to see a puffer puff up. Never encounter that before!

Comment

The South American puffers are far smaller and easily more managable, nowhere near the size of their larger African cousins... about the largest mine ever reached was 2-3" and the largest might have pushed past that a bit...
                          Desiderius Erasmus
                          GHAC President

Comment

I originally tried doing it while they were submersed, but it was a bit difficult and made the whole ordeal longer and far more tedious. Mine never inflated while out of the water, but I would do it quickly. I have seen some Fahakas and Mbu's inflate with water when something stressed them in the tank and they eventually expel it out, but it does look weird.
                            Desiderius Erasmus
                            GHAC President

Comment

Desiderius Erasmus
                              GHAC President

Comment

Working...
                              X