New to Discus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Discus

Well, after much thoght, I dove right into Discus. I am so glad I did! I had always heard how difficult they were and such but I have not found tthat to be the case. I have 2 at the moment and am already to get more :).

Pictures or it didn't happened!
    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Hey good deal there are some pretty knowledgeable people here so there are tons of info plus I have been keeping discus for hmmm since 2000 so I have some knowledge but I'm getting away from discus ..
      125g: Empty For Now
      90g: Planted S.A.

“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.”
      Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

you have been keeping them for so long, why are you getting out of them? Going with a new fish?

Comment

Originally posted by MichelleRenee68 View Post
          you have been keeping them for so long, why are you getting out of them? Going with a new fish?
          Seems like he's been getting into trophs or pseudotrophs judging from the threads/posts from the past few month/s or so? Honestly I wouldn't ever keep discus. They seem too boring for me. They're nice to look at, especially the nice pattern ones!

Comment

Originally posted by mistahoo View Post
            Seems like he's been getting into trophs or pseudotrophs judging from the threads/posts from the past few month/s or so? Honestly I wouldn't ever keep discus. They seem too boring for me. They're nice to look at, especially the nice pattern ones!
            That is exactly why LOL. I have a very active three yr old and he always says daddy why don't the fish do anything and so I decided to try something different then I saw my first tropheus tank and decided to go that route
            125g: Empty For Now
            90g: Planted S.A.

“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.”
            Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

Re: New to Discus

Originally posted by LordBarron7692 View Post
              That is exactly why LOL. I have a very active three yr old and he always says daddy why don't the fish do anything and so I decided to try something different then I saw my first tropheus tank and decided to go that route
              Gotta keep the kiddos entertained!
              30Long: L134 Leopard Frog Plecos X16, Corydoras Sterbai X9, Endlers X4

Small ADA nano (~8gal): ... BKK or OEBT breeding tank in the works!

75g Craigslist Special: In the works...

Comment

Very cool Michelle...
                IMO: Discus are the coolest fish out there...
                Picture would be nice.
                Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Discus are badarse!
                  I ate my fish that died.

Comment

if you are used to keeping your water parameters constant in any aquarium then discus arent any more difficult than some other fish, just different. they just like higher heat, lower pH, and less pollution than some more common fish will tolerate. superfeeding babies is the only part thats really more difficult. there is so much more information about them know than there was when i first got into the hobby that overall preception should be changed.
                    75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
                    28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
                    12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
                    29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
                    45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
                    33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

Exactly what John told me while trying to convince me to get discus! I just like looking at them because they're so flat!

Comment

I miss my discus tank I loved discus. Just make sure you do plenty of WC because they like clean water
                        Resident fish bum
                        330G FOWLR
                        34G Reef
                        330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                        28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                        Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

That is what I have read. I only have 2 in the tank now and my water has stayed crystal clear. I have not had the, long but have already done one partial water change in a week. They seem to be pretty happy and are eating well. I love watching them. They Re so sweet to eachother. I have a 150 gal community Cichlid tank and they are a blast to watch , but just for relaxing, I can sit and watch my discus rather than the tv :)

Comment

I would add a photo but for whatever reason, it will not let me add photos or anything from my iPad. ..... Ugh!

Comment

New to Discus

Yeah determining if the water is "clean" by the eye is going to mislead you. When I had mine I would do 50% x2 a week
                              Resident fish bum
                              330G FOWLR
                              34G Reef
                              330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                              28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                              Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Working...
                              X