Bicolor dottyback and Cleaner shrimp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bicolor dottyback and Cleaner shrimp

Are there signs for coral growth? Any small things that tell you? Just curious? And what's your favorite coral to grow.

My new question is, can you successfully keep a cleaner shrimp with your bicolor? I know the reputation for bicolor eating them is relevant but I was just wondering. Will they eat pistol shrimp?
    Last edited by Johnsbra123; 09-27-2012, 05:45 PM.

Growth signs are noticeable. Different corals have different growth patterns.

Personally I like growing LPS corals with individual heads.
    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Let's say for example hammers and radioactive polps?

Comment

Hammers are LPS so as their flesh grows skeleton grows under it. For the braching type, normally one head will grow bigger and bigger until is slowly spits into two heads forming a branch shap. Sometimes small little heads will grow at the foot of the branch. I notice lighting has an affect as to how they grow.

Zoas on the hand are soft corals. They are all flesh with no skeleton under it. They grow more like a carpet. They slow spread in all directions and sprout off heads. Soft corals normally grow faster than LPS/SPS.
        I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Sweet! Thanks for the input! I have 130 watts right now, 5 watts per gall. I know my polps will grow but will my hammer grow at a slower rate?

Comment

Your hammers will grow at a slower rate. Like mentioned above the heads will split if it is a branching type. Soft corals like zoas spread by budding. A small copy of the zoa will slip unnoticed from the larger polyp. It will creep away and start growing in an optimal spot. Corals grow, but it will take time and the right conditions. A cool thing you can do is take a picture once a week. It is amazing how much growing goes unnoticed. The growth is of course exponential. It seems the bigger they get, the faster they will grow.
            My fish has no eye, he is called "fsh"

Comment

Awesome! I might do that! My hammer has grown since I got it, I am noticing that there is a slight split between the hammer. Does any body know MIKE13OY on marsh because I'm going to be near him tomorrow and I want to stop by and look at his setup. Any contact information will be great. He knows I'm interested. Pm his info. Don't post it here.

Comment

Working...
              X