curled fins.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• curled fins.

my betta just got a curled fins today. He seems a bit shy too. I wonder what's going on? I just lost a fish 3 days ago but I thought he was just dying of old age, he's 2 years+ at least. I'm starting to feel worried about this tank. The only new thing I have done lately is introducing freeze dried brine shirmp as a new type of supplement for them. I'm still doing water change every other day as usual. Dose a little melafix today, any other suggestion?
    I have the patience of a goldfish....

This morning I woke up and all his fins are curled up, he looks really weak can't even swim properly. There's definitely something going on in my tank..

Comment

Try using a blackwater supplement in distilled water. They are naturally from a lower Ph system and perhaps it can shock whatever seems to be affecting it. Garlic is a decent supplement, but beyond that it gets tough diagnosing... Good Luck
      In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
      Desiderius Erasmus
      GHAC President

Comment

he's been in there for over 2 months. so I dont think it's a pH problem, also my water is constantly around 7.5 pH. I grind some garlic and put in his quarantine tank, also dosing some melafix in the main tank since I suspect it could be fin rot (the last fish died because of fin rot and that was 3 days ago) it's weird because only my betta seems to have problem. I'll test my water again later to make sure.

Comment

He's dead T_T. What is going on...... I found him with his first twisted tail yesterday, today he's dead, it's not even 24 hours yet. I have gotta find out what kind of bacteria/virus/evil stuffs lurking in my tank.

Comment

You're running water from the tap?

Comment

Originally posted by mistahoo View Post
              You're running water from the tap?
              I age my water at least 24 hours before changing. I have like 5 bucket of water sitting in a corner of our back closet. Here is the water chemistry of the tank, tested an hour ago:
              Ammonia 0
              nitrite 0
              nitrate 0
              chlorine 0
              pH 7.5
              gH 5-6 (moderately soft)
              Water tempt: constantly 77F (my home tempt)
              Only got him for 2 months.....

Comment

Test the aged water?

Comment

Originally posted by mistahoo View Post
                  Test the aged water?
                  I did not test the aged water recently, I do know that I have moderately soft water, with 0 chlorine (treated with Prime), 0 ammonia, 0 nitrate. I do small water change every other day. My tank never have more than 10 ppm nitrate.

could it be some types of parasite?

Comment

Fin curling is caused by hard water and bad water conditions or a combination of the two. Could have been a parasite/disease that killed him but the fins were from your water parameters.

Recommendations: Get a bigger tank and don't feed brine shrimp or any other frozen food. It builds up in their belly and can cause bloat. I only feed white worms, and pellets/flake. I've fed my bettas just about everything and feed all of my other non bettas brine and bloods. In general stay away from crustaceans because the shells don't sit well with bettas.

I do feed baby brine shrimp to my betta fry about once a week.
                    Last edited by bettascapes; 09-11-2012, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bettascapes View Post
                      Fin curling is caused by hard water and bad water conditions or a combination of the two. Could have been a parasite/disease that killed him but the fins were from your water parameters.

Recommendations: Get a bigger tank and don't feed brine shrimp or any other frozen food. It builds up in their belly and can cause bloat. I only feed white worms, and pellets/flake. I've fed my bettas just about everything and feed all of my other non bettas brine and bloods. In general stay away from crustaceans because the shells don't sit well with bettas.

I do feed baby brine shrimp to my betta fry about once a week.
                      I have soft water, and I tested it again yesterday, no sign of problem from the water. My tank is 45 gallons I dont know if I would need anything bigger to house betta.

Comment

Most fancy bettas are quite hardy. Frozen brine shrimp spoils rather quickly and can pollute the water. I tend to fed them live. No problems in the past, even with wild types. You just don't want to do it to often as they are not very tolerant of high salt content in their diets (except wild species caught from brackish waters). Bettas splendens in the wild eat insects any anything small that happens to fall into their puddles. They shouldn't have problems with shells. Blood worms are great. They are not very active fish and can become very obese and develope fatty livers if over fed, and have shorter lifespans. Was your betta bloated? other than curled fins did it have any other symptoms or signs? You said it's a 45 gallon tank. Are there other new fish or possible ways of disease introduction?
                        Emerald Green Rainbowfish
                        Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

Originally posted by black_knight View Post
                          Most fancy bettas are quite hardy. Frozen brine shrimp spoils rather quickly and can pollute the water. I tend to fed them live. No problems in the past, even with wild types. You just don't want to do it to often as they are not very tolerant of high salt content in their diets (except wild species caught from brackish waters). Bettas splendens in the wild eat insects any anything small that happens to fall into their puddles. They shouldn't have problems with shells. Blood worms are great. They are not very active fish and can become very obese and develope fatty livers if over fed, and have shorter lifespans. Was your betta bloated? other than curled fins did it have any other symptoms or signs? You said it's a 45 gallon tank. Are there other new fish or possible ways of disease introduction?
                          oh nvm, we found out the problem, it wasn't overfed or anything, it was internal parasite. I normally feed my fish every other day in very small amount. Anyways, somehow one of the new fish I bought got stress really bad on the way home, fell sick and die, the betta ate it, hence the problem with internal parasite.

Comment

Working...
                          X