red mangroves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• red mangroves

I just brought some mangroves for my refugium and I was told that I could stick them straight on to
    my live rock. But the letter that came with the mangroves said pot them with soil for about 2 months before
    putting them in the fuge. Can someone give me some much needed advice. Thanks.

Mangroves can survive in salt water but it takes them a long time to sprout new roots and new leaves.
    They will do better if their roots are in soil, hence the reason for the recommendation. It allows them to sprout new roots before you add them to your refugium. Sticking them to rocks may not do them any harm but I don't know if that does them any good either.

I had some mangroves for about a year in my sump half submerged with no substrate and they added very few new leaves (I didn't have good lighting though). If they didn't put out leaves and roots, I don't imagine they helped to reduce my nitrate much if at all.

Comment

Am I suppose to leave the light on 24 hr for the mangroves?

Comment

Originally posted by ttran1130 View Post
        Am I suppose to leave the light on 24 hr for the mangroves?
        I am pretty sure you shouldn't.
        It's a plant and plant needs a day and night cycle.

Comment

i dont know about SW setups specifically, but generally yes mangroves would need a light cycle. i think that i read that some people will set up the cycle opposite the main tank lights to help minimize pH shifts. that might be only with macroalgae tho. rooting them in soil first makes sense, no new roots means no new nitrate uptake
          75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
          28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
          12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
          29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
          45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
          33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

Working...
          X