Betta in a fluval edge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Betta in a fluval edge

I've heard both sides of the story when it comes to Betta and Fluval Edge, some ppl have had success doing this, and I'm kinda tempting to do this. I have the 12 gallons version. Can anyone who tried this share with me their story ?
    I have the patience of a goldfish....

Originally posted by suicune View Post
    I've heard both sides of the story when it comes to Betta and Fluval Edge, some ppl have had success doing this, and I'm kinda tempting to do this. I have the 12 gallons version. Can anyone who tried this share with me their story ?
    I don't see the problem? Put a fish in an aquarium... Isn't that what you're supposed to do?

Quite lost on what you're trying to say... What's the story? Is the tank supposed to hurt the betta or something?

Comment

I've put a betta in a 10gallon before works alright

Comment

well there's this ongoing debate about how ppl should not put Betta in a Fluval Edge because it has a small opening which can be bad for Betta. Some ppl tried this and actually succeeded because their betta can quickly learn where the opening is and it's not a problem. Many ppl debate on how the Fluval Edge, because of its design, will have low O2 content in the water column. I had this tank for 6 months and so far no problem with O2 deficiency. I asked the owner of Aquarium World about this, and he said it's not a problem at all.

Comment

Originally posted by suicune View Post
          well there's this ongoing debate about how ppl should not put Betta in a Fluval Edge because it has a small opening which can be bad for Betta. Some ppl tried this and actually succeeded because their betta can quickly learn where the opening is and it's not a problem. Many ppl debate on how the Fluval Edge, because of its design, will have low O2 content in the water column. I had this tank for 6 months and so far no problem with O2 deficiency. I asked the owner of Aquarium World about this, and he said it's not a problem at all.
          AHhhh... Well that clears up a lot of confusion. This little opening... Is it an opening that leads out of the tank? or an opening into a filter?

I've seen the Fluval Edge in Petsmarts/Petcos but never seen it running. From the design, I wouldn't say that there would be low O2 in the water column. The tank design itself isn't tall enough to have a deficiency in O2. Just as the ocean or any body of water, the deeper the water column, the lower the O2 is.

Comment

The 12 gallon version is twice as high as the 6 gallon which is around 17inches, the opening is a 4.5 in x 4.5 in where everything goes in. I found feeding very convenient because all the food stay at the mouth of the tank. I might try to get that betta home. I was at petsmart on 249/1960, and there was this white pastel betta looking at me begging me to take him home :(... I feel bad for him to stay in that little box :( do they even get fed?

Comment

To have a noticeable drop in O2 because of how tall the tank is, you'd probably need a tank that's a whole lot taller than 17". The betta should be fine in terms of the O2.

Dunno of those bettas ever get any food. If they do, it's probably once every month?

Comment

I have decided to lower my tank water level below the glass top, one of my otocinclus has the same problem where sometimes he come to the top for air but somehow always miss the mouth of the tank. I feel bad for it. The other oto never has that problem. I might have to make some asthetic sacrifice for the oto and the new betta

Comment

Can you post a picture?
                  Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Originally posted by troy tucker View Post
                    Can you post a picture?
                    +1

Comment

I got an extremely pretty betta, so far no problem with nipping or aggression, on the contrary this betta seems very timid and peaceful. At first it did try to chase my delta guppies but that had stopped. I will post a picture soon. It seems that the betta spend most of its time swim around my plants rather than at the top

Comment

the opening would be plenty for offgasing CO2 and replentishing O2. It really doesnt take much of a hole. As far as the tank height, O2 will be mixed within the water column evenly...the O2 level does not drop the further that you go down in the tank, especially if you have any kind of pump or filtration. the only problem that a 'tall' type tank does have is water surface area. oxygen exchange happens at the surface, the more area then the more gas can be exchanged. this is why 'breeder' aquariums maximize surface area by being wide.

FWIW, i have a betta in an eclipse twelve that has a full hood and only a small feeder opening. there are no problems with O2 saturation. the only potential problem that i see with these type aquariums is that the lights need to be vented so that the headspace where the air is doesnt get too hot. anabantids dont like breathing superheated air.
                        75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
                        28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
                        12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
                        29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
                        45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
                        33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

Originally posted by Totenkampf View Post
                          the opening would be plenty for offgasing CO2 and replentishing O2. It really doesnt take much of a hole. As far as the tank height, O2 will be mixed within the water column evenly...the O2 level does not drop the further that you go down in the tank, especially if you have any kind of pump or filtration. the only problem that a 'tall' type tank does have is water surface area. oxygen exchange happens at the surface, the more area then the more gas can be exchanged. this is why 'breeder' aquariums maximize surface area by being wide.

FWIW, i have a betta in an eclipse twelve that has a full hood and only a small feeder opening. there are no problems with O2 saturation. the only potential problem that i see with these type aquariums is that the lights need to be vented so that the headspace where the air is doesnt get too hot. anabantids dont like breathing superheated air.
                          I use LED light in most of my aquarium and they seem to do very well as reducing heat. I'm moving the set up to a new tank this weekend and will be using 2 finnex ray II daylight led fixtures.

Comment

Those are bright lights. I have two finnex one just daylight and other day and blue lights. Both are bright. Good lights.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by nano reef heaven View Post
                              Those are bright lights. I have two finnex one just daylight and other day and blue lights. Both are bright. Good lights.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2
                              Do you think 2 daylight finnex II enough for a 21 inches deep tank? I'm aiming for medium light

Comment

Working...
                              X