Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is this on my zoa and how should I remove it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this on my zoa and how should I remove it.

I think this is a pest, and well I have done before fresh water dips but not sure what is this now,

the other dip I have is seachem coral dip.

but again not sure what is this, one sure it is alive.

Almost looks like a small aptasia.

Comment

should i use apastia-X ?

Comment

Find out for sure first becaus it could e something totally different. Maybe get a different angle photo

Comment

Yes. Use it. That or lemon/lime juice in a syringe, or kalkwasser "paste" in a syringe. You may lose a zoa or two, but you don't want that pest anemone to get any bigger.

Comment

if I use syringe with lime juice, do i need the needle or it is just so I can target the juice where that thing is ?

Comment

To target...

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Comment

It will try to retract as you squirt... the needle will help you dig in after it. I'd imagine an insulin needle would do fine (slin pin), but it squirts out really slow due to the gauge of the needle. I've used 25G needles and they work great. Hard to find them though... need a script or a hussla' to get em these days...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

i just did it, the freaking thing just before i squirt some juice hided so not sure I was able to get in the middle where the tentacles are, but so far it seems i has not retracted after the juice.

is this something that takes time, or the juice is very effective?

Comment

Its typically immediate. If it comes back, get your ninja awn next time you go to get him.

Keep at it! Those things can take over a tank!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

well it has not come up again, so I guess it worked, that saved me some $$ instead of getting aipastia-x, I have a key lime tree on the backyard ;-)

Comment

LOL! Convenient! I love key limes!

Glad it worked out!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Lol, FYI peppermint shrimp generally work too sometimes and I mean sometimes. I had a small break out for it and bought a peppermint and he cleaned up nicely

Comment

Thats not aptasia. It's a zoanthid eating nudibranch. Take tweezers and smash the crap out of him. Your best bet is to dip the rock (and other zoanthid rocks) in a dip like coralRx (iodine dips don't kill them). Look around your zoanthids, anywhere you see a penny to nickel size clump of polyps NOT opened, there will probably be a nudi in the middle or nearby. They don't eat other corals but zoanthids and palyathoas. They will actually take on the colors of the zoanthids they eat, so in this case his tentacles will turn a lovely shade of neon green.
                            75 planted (Being Renovated)
                            Endlers
                            gobies
                            lots of nanos

Comment

I had nudibranch when I got it and I FW dip it, but those things fell off, and yes they take up the color of the zoa, but this one looked more like something attached to it and not eating it.

Comment

Working...
                              X