Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want my clarkii to host my rbta...how?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want my clarkii to host my rbta...how?

I have had my clarkii for about 3 months (she is only 2-2 1/2in nose to fin) and I got a rbta a few days ago. I want her to host it but she doesn't seem to care to host it or anything. Is it because she has no mate or that she just doesn't care? :-/ Is there an easy way without removal to encourage her to host or just don't bother and let whatever happen? (Would be a bummer if she never hosts.)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

Some say the picture method works... idk. I would feed the clown near the anemone and in time the clown will figure it out. I've heard all sorts of things not short of sacrificing chickens.... From all my understanding it just takes time. Young clowns aren't imprinted with the habit like older wild clowns. They have to learn it, and that just takes a while.

In 3 months if it still hasn't taken to it, then start trying weird things. Otherwise I just wouldnt worry about it.
    75 planted (Being Renovated)
    Endlers
    gobies
    lots of nanos

Comment

Yea I have read all kinds of stories. Ha-ha. I suppose your right. Hopefully she'll catch on. They look so happy and full of life when they host. I'd really like to get her a companion cause she seems lonely. I figure if I can find a mate she'll be happy. I had a pseudo in there before and she used to follow her around but it was aggressive towards my goby so I put the pseudo in my other tank. O well. Guess I'll just try patience. Hope it works. I wish I could find another clarkii.....:o

Comment

Feed near the anemone. The biggest thing is that they don't know that they can go in there, and they haven't built a resistance to the sting, so it just takes some time and coaxing.
        75 planted (Being Renovated)
        Endlers
        gobies
        lots of nanos

Comment

I'll try to feed her near the anemone. If I'm not feeding live brine shrimp I give her the freeze dried ones by tongs and she usually snatches and swims off until she wants more. I've yet to even see her check out the anemone. Doesn't even get close to it. But I'm gonna be patient and try feeding near anemone. She used to swim around the stalk of my toadstool but I moved it to my other tank to make sure my rbta didn't move around tank and end up killing it. But time will tell.... :-/

Comment

I had my false percula clown with a couple of RBTA for a year+ together and she never hosted.
            One day I bought another clownfish and he seemed to have known about hosting before so he went right into one.
            My 1st clown followed suit right after.

I think it's a learned behavior and the clownfish which are tank bred might not have learned.

I think they do sell little plastic clownfish toy, maybe you can get one and place it inside the anenome?

Comment

Unless it really bothers you I wouldnt worry about it they will get it. I had a clown that hosted a leather for a while but once I put in a nem it went in immediately. I also added a large elegance next to the nem and they now host both but primarily the nem.
              Resident fish bum
              330G FOWLR
              34G Reef
              330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
              28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
              Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Not worried but I just like to see it. But it's cool. We will just see what happens in time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea-agg09 View Post
                  Some say the picture method works... idk. I would feed the clown near the anemone and in time the clown will figure it out. I've heard all sorts of things not short of sacrificing chickens.... From all my understanding it just takes time. Young clowns aren't imprinted with the habit like older wild clowns. They have to learn it, and that just takes a while.

In 3 months if it still hasn't taken to it, then start trying weird things. Otherwise I just wouldnt worry about it.
                  HA!!!! Show them a picture. It does work. I had a pair of onyx clowns in a species specific setup with a RBTA. They paid no attenition to the anem for months. A friend suggested a picture taped to the glass. Well........ it worked. The very next day.
                  My fish has no eye, he is called "fsh"

Comment

Lmao. That is intriugingly hilarious. I'll try it and see what happens. Either it'll work or I'll feel dumb lol. so we'll see. Your success gives me some hope.

Comment

Well I have good news. I noticed this morning my clarkii was hovering near my rbta, well as I'm fixing lunch I walk by and bam! She finally is hosting. She is just cuddling her little heart out. Lol. Only bad thing is my rbta went to the back of my tank last night so you can't really see it. It's behind some rock on the sand bed. :( Oh well. Can't complain I got what I wanted!

Comment

Congrats!
                        125 gal-P. Kachase,simochromis, vampire pleco,bn pleco,bulldog pleco

55 gal- Ilangis ,clown pleco,abn pleco,rubber lip pleco

55 gal-Canary cheek,Ikola,duboisi, and fry

10 gal -fry tank,snails

Comment

Thanks! It put a big smile on my face.

Comment

so did you get a picture up for it to see or did this happen with no outside influence?
                            75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
                            28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
                            12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
                            29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
                            45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
                            33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

Actually it just happened. I was actually going to print a pic out today but before I knew it she just started hosting. It was just out of no where, because she never showed interest until today after the rbta moved to the back of tank last night. So I guess it was luck or instinct took over. Idk.

Comment

Working...
                              X