Blue maxima clam positioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue maxima clam positioning

I just bought a small 2-3 inch blue maxima clam and I don't really have a suitable rock to attach him to, is it okay for me to leave him in the sand bed? I'd actually prefer that so if I ever want to move him or switch tanks it would be easy.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

sand bed is the best thing to do IMO. how big is the tank.
    reread the thread.
    actually with maxima might wanna put it up on a structure.
    Last edited by cu0ngsayz; 07-30-2012, 10:47 PM.

Comment

I have two 6 gallon. One rimless and other fluval edge. I have him in the fluval cause its better established and he seems happy enough that he is open up good but i just dont want him all over or to attach to a rock i wont be able to move around. I have led lights on both tanks and I saw somewhere online that the smaller clams don't like intense light? I had him at the top but he keeps knocking himself down so I set him in the sandbed. He seems content for now but then again I guess I won't know until the daylights kick on tomorrow.

Comment

I put him in the corner. Hope he stays.

Comment

uploadfromtaptalk1343708031000.jpg

Comment

As long as he gets the flow and light he needs but it will bury its foot and attach to the bottom glass. You can cut the bottom of a water bottle and set it on top of it so it will attach to the bottle. Then you can safely move it later.
            Last edited by Darbex; 07-31-2012, 08:34 AM.
            Resident fish bum
            330G FOWLR
            34G Reef
            330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
            28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
            Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

I'll try that. I had tried to have him attach to a little disc like plug but he kept moving off of it.

Comment

Those plugs are too small.
                Resident fish bum
                330G FOWLR
                34G Reef
                330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

It's like a 2 inch disc it originally was a coralline cultur that I ordered to introduce it to my tank. But I'm gonna try the bottle thing. Or something around the house.

Comment

Maximas are typically rock clams and will try very hard to put his foot down (so to speak) in order to find a footing (so to speak again).
                    If you want to put him in the sand, you need to bury a rock or something under the sand so he doesn't dig his way to the bottom, but instead attach to the rock and remained propped up above the sand.
                    Another thing i have seen people do is to cut a piece of plexiglas that is larger than the length of the clam (round or oval ones look pretty nice) or the bottom of a plastic 2 liter bottle (not so nice looking) and bury it just below the sand. The clam will dig down and attach himself to the plexiglas and go no further.
                    I like the plexiglas because it looks almost transparent under water and it is chemically inactive.
                    www.ventralfins.com

Comment

That actually sounds good. I have an extra acrylic sheet laying around I can use that. I'll cut it tomorrow. Hope he'll stay put! Lol Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X