My African Spiny Eel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My African Spiny Eel

Well, I got this guy last week, and he has finally decided to come out from the sand. He is probably my prized fish in my tank as you just dont see them that often compared to the other spiny eels from South America and Asia. He is still pretty small, so I took the best couple of photos I could.

65G African Tank (1 Ropefish, 1 Senegal Bichir, 3 Spotted Climbing Pearch, 2 Black Calvus "Zebra", 1 Featherfin Cat, African Knife, 2 Upside down Cats and an African Butterfly Fish.

30G "The Mudhole" 3 African Mudskippers (Periophthalmus barbarus)

20G 4 Longfin Zebra Danio, 2 Julii Cory, 2 Bolivian Ram, 1 Stripped Raphael and 3 Glass Cats.

Mastacembelus circumcintus?

What was it sold to you as? Very interesting eel, especially from the African side
    175g - fw flounder tank
    600g - guppy bait tank

Comment

That is pretty nice looking! Normally don't see those floating around in the trade!
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Here is the suppliers website and a picture of my eel. It is different in that it has red eyes, and this is a picture of the one I have. Just say sp. for species. Sure wish I could find out what type it is.

65G African Tank (1 Ropefish, 1 Senegal Bichir, 3 Spotted Climbing Pearch, 2 Black Calvus "Zebra", 1 Featherfin Cat, African Knife, 2 Upside down Cats and an African Butterfly Fish.

20G 4 Longfin Zebra Danio, 2 Julii Cory, 2 Bolivian Ram, 1 Stripped Raphael and 3 Glass Cats.

Comment

I hate buying from "unknowns".
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa View Post
            I hate buying from "unknowns".
            HAHA I know! It is bugging the crap out of me. I am still looking but there are so many species.

Comment

Mastacembelus frenatus? Longtailed Spiny Eel or Starry Night Spiny eel if my ID is correct with those images. Could be something else, but I think it looks right, especially for a juvenile. Cool find and I am certain it'll be well taken care of..
              In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
              Desiderius Erasmus
              GHAC President

Comment

Here is a great photo gallery featuring it
                Desiderius Erasmus
                GHAC President

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
                  Mastacembelus frenatus? Longtailed Spiny Eel or Starry Night Spiny eel if my ID is correct with those images. Could be something else, but I think it looks right, especially for a juvenile. Cool find and I am certain it'll be well taken care of..
                  Man you know your stuff! Thanks so much for the help, that is definitely it! Are you a marine biologist? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by brandon_rss18 View Post
                    Man you know your stuff! Thanks so much for the help, that is definitely it! Are you a marine biologist? LOL
                    LOL he's like a fish database!

Comment

Im glad you found one. Pretty rewarding. Congrats on the find!
                      210gPetrochromis Macrognatus Green 'Nsumbu
                      125g Mdoka White Lip

"Success is the willingness to fail"

Comment

Originally posted by brandon_rss18 View Post
                        Your welcome, its all about being part of a great community and sharing what knowledge we have. Nope, not a marine biologist at all. I actually work offshore petroleum, but have been keeping fish for years. From what I have read they stay relatively small (40cm/15-16") according to fishbase, though they are relatively new to general keeping so time will certainly tell. Certainly write up some good info and what worked for you as there seems to be a lack of anything on the net about them. I would even try and convince you to write up a care sheet here as it would likely be the only one online. Very cool find and am looking forward to hearing about its behavior and assesment over the long term.
                        Desiderius Erasmus
                        GHAC President

Comment

very nice eel! How did you order from segrest farms? From what i see they only sell to shops

Comment

Yeah it was thru Segrest. My local fish store ordered it for me. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                            X