Sump opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sump opinions

So I've been getting plans together for my 75 reef plumbing and sump wise. I was thinking, would it be a good idea to T off the intake to, 2 sumps? Like one is a refugium and the other is a Berlin style? Figured it would be good to add the extra volume. I was thinking a 20 long dedicated fuge and a 20 or 10 dedicated skimmer sump. I have about 40" to work with under the tank I believe so I probably can't do 2 20s. Anyone think this is a good idea or would it be just a waste of space and just make a 40 sump with all the compartments?

That makes it more trouble than it's worth, because then you have to worry about flow rates between the two sumps, and of course plumbing the two sumps together. You would only be able to use one return pump anyway, so I don't see the point of two separate sumps unless you already have two sumps and want to use them. If you're starting from scratch, just get the biggest one you can and then plan from there.

Comment

I got a refuge I could sell to u if u need it it has overflow box also and tubing

Comment

Send me specs on the fuge ball. I saw the post but dimensions, how the fuge is made and volume limit is what I'm wanting to know

Comment

The T would be the prob.... You could do this but with two intakes, two sumps, and two return pumps... I had two nice sumps and traded one for the pump to run the other. The funny part is, It sets on a table. Didn't like it. Took it off the tank and it is still just sitting there. I put more money into it on big canister filters...
          Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

No, two sumps, each with their own intake and return pump would be the problem. The tank will overflow at exactly the combined output of the pumps. That means 1000gph / 2 = 500gph into each sump. Good luck getting the return pumps to pump at EXACTLY 500gph. One will pump too fast and drain the sump and the other will not pump fast enough and overflow.

One return pump. That's it. If you want 2 sumps, plumb them together and have the water flow from one to the other.

Comment

The guy I got my big tank from had two. Two of everything on it. Overflows sumps and pumps. I think it's closer to 700 gph on each. But. To feed one to the other would work with less flow. But isn't it all about having flow in the tank?

Comment

I would rather have less flow in the tank, than more flow onto the living room floor.

Comment

I under stand. I didn't like my sump setup for other reasons. For some reason my fish would get in the over flow and stop it up. The pump would empty the sump in to the tank. It never over flowed. If the sump was to big it would have. The size of the overflow, sump, plumbing, and pump all have to work to gether. There is just to much that can go wrong. That's why I put it all on canisters. You can still use fuge and never worry about overflow.

Comment

troy, i think that you are correct with what you are saying when you consider only one sump. the sump should be sized to take the all the volume above the intake in case of failure. i can see what alex is saying with regard to the OPs original question. With two independant sumps, both would need to be sized the same as a single one to to prevent overflow in case of failure. flow balancing open topped sumps would be risky at best, all i takes is one clogged intake strainer and one sump could overflow. i have never used a sump on SW aquaria, but i have designed acid baths that are similar in function. we found it was best to use one large container with compartments.
                    75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
                    28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
                    12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
                    29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
                    45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
                    33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

makes sense now to use only one. At first before I read on more I was thinking 2 separate sumps for 2 overflows with the same intake flow and outflow.

Comment

There's no reason to not use more than one sump. Use seven if you have enough room for it. Just make sure you plumb them inline. If you want to use two return pumps, that's fine also, but make sure that they're both in the same chamber. At that point you would basically have a higher output return pump.

Remember, the problem is when you have two return pumps that are pumping from two independent sumps.

The main problem with plumbing multiple sumps inline is that the transfer line can get obstructed by debris, or a hermit crab, or mangrove leaves, etc. I've learned this the hard way, but thank God I have not yet had an overflow. Thankfully, the only major obstruction happened when I was in the room and heard the ATO pump running nonstop. The first sump was about to spill over because the transfer line was obstructed by a mangrove leaf. It doesn't take much.
                        Last edited by alexrex20; 07-05-2012, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X