Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do I fail at keeping a bristlenose pleco?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do I fail at keeping a bristlenose pleco?

I've been keeping fish for the past 2 1/2 years for friends but recently in the past year and a half started my own tanks. Started with just a 40 gallon breeder and with 3 giant danios. Then added two yellow lab cichlids, then later two white. Then a bristlenose pleco. All started as juveniles. Then one day my tanked leaked and I had to change to a rubbermade tub for a couple of weeks.

Sealed the tank and put them back in. They did well for quite awhile then the bristlenose died. Maybe stress from changing from a 40gl to a 30gl tub.

But he seemed to be cannabilized because I found little left of him. Then my tanked leaked again so I put it aside and bought a 55 gallon. Happily my fish lived then I decided to bring back my 40 gallon breeder so I bought a new one.

The yellow and white cichlids were breeding so it seemed to be a good idea. I put about 20 baby fry in that breeder tank and eventually gave them away but tried to put in a couple of albino bristlenose plecos. They did ok for awhile but only one really grew then died.

Now I have this minature albino pleco who does well. But quite recently my chocalate bristlenose that I bought for my 55 gallon died. Along with a couple guppies.

Maybe some loose carbon cuz i added some but the plastic filter holders that came with my emperor marineland filter didnt hold my filter media and spread it in my tank. But again the pleco looked cannabalized and there was little left.

But I cant say the guppies died at the same time one female very pregnant and one cool cobra tail male. I found almost nothing left of them.

I have a large community of yellow-white halfbreed cichlids now maybe they are like a wild pack of piranahs when i run out of frozen brine shrimp they just go nuts and feast on anything smaller or did i screw up and feed my pleco black diamond carbon on accident?

Should I just keep a bigger pleco like a Sailfin or Leopard pleco?

Get a bigger sized bristlenose.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Bristlenose are typically very hardy fish. Do you have driftwood in the tank? What are you feeding your bristlenose?

Mark
      What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

I am no expert but maybe the plecos you are introducing are already sick. as most of us will will pick on the weak and if they are not feed properly may be the reason they are going cannibalism on them. i do have 14 yellow labs and they dont mess with my BN nor my oto cat.

thats just my $.02
        75g Tank,
        2- Wild Scalare Angel 2-wild Angel snakeskin, 2-half blue half black Angels, 5-Guianacara Geayi, 4- Blue Rams(1m/3f), 1- L144, 1- Pleco unknown type 1-Blue Neon Goby
        2.5g Mini Monter - Shrimp Tank
        10-RCS, 1-Red Sakura 5-Malawa, 8-Boraras Brigittie, 1-Adonis Pleco, 1-Zebra Nerite, 1-Horned Nerite
        10g Tank
        Hospital 2-F. Endlers

2-29g Empty Tank, 20L Empty Tank , 125g Empty Tank[SIGPIC]sigpic

Comment

If you leave dead fish in the tank they will get eaten. That's just how it is. As far as them dying, is there enough food in the tank (algae or wood)? If you threw them in a tub with no algae and back into a tank with no algae, they more then likely starved. If you have no wood or algae start feeding them with algae wafers...

Comment

Originally posted by jeb102385 View Post
            If you leave dead fish in the tank they will get eaten. That's just how it is. As far as them dying, is there enough food in the tank (algae or wood)? If you threw them in a tub with no algae and back into a tank with no algae, they more then likely starved. If you have no wood or algae start feeding them with algae wafers...
            +1
            75g Tank,
            2- Wild Scalare Angel 2-wild Angel snakeskin, 2-half blue half black Angels, 5-Guianacara Geayi, 4- Blue Rams(1m/3f), 1- L144, 1- Pleco unknown type 1-Blue Neon Goby
            10-RCS, 1-Red Sakura 5-Malawa, 8-Boraras Brigittie, 1-Adonis Pleco, 1-Zebra Nerite, 1-Horned Nerite
            10g Tank
            Hospital 2-F. Endlers

Comment

what do you feed the pleco's? they like to chow on driftwood but they need more then that. you feed your other fish frozzen brine shrinp. But i would bet they are not letting the other fish eat. So after some time they starve. after they die the labs eat them.
              try feeding the pleco,s algee wafers.
              Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

They need more than just wood and algae wafers. I feed mine raw cucumber and zucchini. They also get blanched carrots and green beans along with algae wafers and spirulina flake. All fish need a varied diet to be at optimum health. I'd try out some different foods on the next ones you get.

Mark
                What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by wesleydnunder View Post
                  They need more than just wood and algae wafers. I feed mine raw cucumber and zucchini. They also get blanched carrots and green beans along with algae wafers and spirulina flake. All fish need a varied diet to be at optimum health. I'd try out some different foods on the next ones you get.

Mark
                  yeah thats true, my plecos go crazy on the algae and since i have plants they munch on them from time to time. also i dont clean my side and back glass for them to eat the algae accumulated there. i feed them algae wafers and they do et NLS that the other fish didnt eat. and the love to suck onto the rocks and gravel. i am not a fan of feeding them cucumber or zucchini as later on i have them stuck on my filters.
                  75g Tank,
                  10g Tank
                  Hospital 2-F. Endlers

Comment

Originally posted by R_sustaita View Post
                    yeah thats true, my plecos go crazy on the algae and since i have plants they munch on them from time to time. also i dont clean my side and back glass for them to eat the algae accumulated there. i feed them algae wafers and they do et NLS that the other fish didnt eat. and the love to suck onto the rocks and gravel. i am not a fan of feeding them cucumber or zucchini as later on i have them stuck on my filters.
                    LOL Yeah, sometimes fishkeepin' is work.

Mark

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

All very solid advice, what are your water parameters and what is your water changing routine? High nitrates will make them very unhappy and the younger ones are especially sensitive. That might explain the guppy/pleco die off... (Malawi cichlids are IMO very poor indicators of water quality as they can live in some very bad conditions and still thrive)
                      In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
                      Desiderius Erasmus
                      GHAC President

Comment

Originally posted by wesleydnunder View Post
                        LOL Yeah, sometimes fishkeepin' is work.

Mark
                        yeah, what can i say.
                        75g Tank,
                        10g Tank
                        Hospital 2-F. Endlers

Comment

I have lots of sinking driftwood and mopani african root and I do feed them Algae wafers but thats it I have tried zucchini before they liked it. I just don't get it I feed them regularly clean the tanks regularly but the plecos i keep specifically the plecos always end up dying eventually or right away or months after I get them.

I've been through 4 so far only one tiny albino BN has survived. Im scared to try again I don't want to keep sending poor little plecos to their deaths. I recently tried with a Sailfin pleco (gibbeceps) about 3.5 inches he lasted 3 days. Guess it was too quick I dont know.

Comment

Throw in a good handful of salt

just kidding :o

Comment

Wow man, maybe your water is the cause. How often do you test it?
                              75g Tank,
                              10g Tank
                              Hospital 2-F. Endlers

Comment

Working...
                              X