• I.D. this catfish!?

grabbed this out of a feeder tank...

700g Mini-Monster tank

Lophiobagrus cyclurus ?
    25g - Reef
    3.5g - Surge Tank
    10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

Looks like a Black Bullhead (though could be a juvenile yellow, look for some white lower barbels) Ameiurus melas. They can be tough, I have kept them with a tank full of convicts and they never were bothered at all...
      In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
      Desiderius Erasmus
      GHAC President

Comment

Looks like a baby bullhead catfish. I have a black bullhead in my 55 gallon.
        PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

The way it's barbels and finnage is it's a close match.

I was hoping it was a tadpole madtom but after netting it out of the feeder tank it didn't look like it anymore.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I have a tadpole madtom. Very good at hiding. I presumed it dead and scavenged by doctor fish when it vanished a year ago, but saw it again last week!
            PLECOS SUCK!

Comment

Tadpoles anal and caudal fin merge, they are found locally but I always have a difficult time locating one anytime I actually go looking...
              Desiderius Erasmus
              GHAC President

Comment

+1 Bullhead
                Don't tell fish stories where people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.
                Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
                  Tadpoles anal and caudal fin merge, they are found locally but I always have a difficult time locating one anytime I actually go looking...
                  I got mine from the feeder shrimp tank at Houston Aquatics in the Heights a couple of years ago.
                  PLECOS SUCK!

Comment

Looks like a Black Bullhead (though could be a juvenile yellow, look for some white lower barbels) Ameiurus melas. They can be tough, I have kept them with a tank full of convicts and they never were bothered at all...
                    There's four downward barbs, two forward and two small ones pointing upwards.
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

That's what I was hoping it was, I saw them the other day in the shipping bag but had to leave so I went back today to see what became of them and saw two but this one was the cat and the other turned out to be some sort of darter.
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

You didn't take the darter? Darters are cool!
                        PLECOS SUCK!

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa View Post
                          There's four downward barbs, two forward and two small ones pointing upwards.
                          The yellow bullhead has stark white lower barbels, while the black bullhead has black lower barbels. Yellows tend to look more tannish and the blacks are darker and when established and nonstressed get darker. I have caught both locally and side by side are very easy to tell the difference. Check online for pics and you'll be able to tell I'm sure. To me it looks like a black, but sometimes pictures can look very different then the fish does.
                          Desiderius Erasmus
                          GHAC President

Comment

Thanks mRoy.

It's my new center piece alongside my MBU, only two fish left in the 180g
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Glad to help, wish we had caught some ditch fishing. We need to go again soon...
                              Desiderius Erasmus
                              GHAC President

Comment

Working...
                              X