TaoTronic 120w LEDS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TaoTronic 120w LEDS?

Anyone ever use these before? I'm getting the "you get what you paid for" vibe but, seems like the reviews say it's a go for these babies

I fell in love with the black finish on this one

wow it looks cool and 55 x 3W LEDS!
    75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
    28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
    12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
    29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
    45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
    33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

Originally posted by Totenkampf View Post
      wow it looks cool and 55 x 3W LEDS!
      IKR?! I was shocked at the price for what it is! I was thinking of getting one for my 15 gallon and seeing how it works out. The reviews on it are really well. Only thing I read about them is that the crees are 3watts and being driven at 2 watts. It was an older post but, I'm guessing they fixed that. Wouldn't be a problem because it would have not over drive them causing the life span of them to be shortened.

Comment

so the emiitters are actually Crees and not knockoffs? wow thats a great price then. the Crees that TMC aquaray uses are 3W being run at 2.4W so that doenst seem uncommon maybe. its 16" x 8" so could be used on a pretty large tank depending on the angle of the lenses. at 2200 lux that might be too much for a 15 gallon but i guess you could just mount it higher. i did not that it says its great for aquariums but not waterproof so dont mount near water. probably not good unless you DO hang it overhead

GHAC Member

Comment

oops i missed this before, 120 degree lenses so it would have good coverage. their other fixtures use EPI LEDs, not familiar with those

GHAC Member

Comment

wow iono, skimmed a few articles since i didnt have much time at lunch and the taotronics was usually being bashed, but that was mostly the 1W fixtures but always on the drivers. If you want to spend that kinda cash on a 15 gallon then why not try a TMC AquaRay? those have genuine Cree emitters and seem to be good. i will try them eventually.

GHAC Member

Comment

oops i missed this before, 120 degree lenses so it would have good coverage. their other fixtures use EPI LEDs, not familiar with those
              same and from what i've read on the reviews they are indeed Crees which I was even more shocked. It might actually be one of those "it's so good to be true". I'll try and gather up some money this weekend and buy a fixture

Comment

That's a really good price compare to AIsol

Comment

wow iono, skimmed a few articles since i didnt have much time at lunch and the taotronics was usually being bashed, but that was mostly the 1W fixtures but always on the drivers. If you want to spend that kinda cash on a 15 gallon then why not try a TMC AquaRay? those have genuine Cree emitters and seem to be good. i will try them eventually.
                  Well eventually I'll upgrade from the 15 to something like a 56 corner tank.

Comment

definately keep us up on those, further research told me that they do use the gen 1 Cree sometimes..i wish i knew how to tell the difference. i guess it doesnt matter until you put it on a tank and record the results tho

GHAC Member

Comment

definately keep us up on those, further research told me that they do use the gen 1 Cree sometimes..i wish i knew how to tell the difference. i guess it doesnt matter until you put it on a tank and record the results tho
                      read on thereeftank that it's one of those mixed feeling things but majority of them loved it. Only problem was the fan being to noisey and not being dimmable. They do have the dimmable ones but, I haven't had any luck finding them.

Comment

Found this one and it looks like TaoTronics. Also found teh bridgeluxe ones as well on ebay for $225 or something.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Free-shipping-NEW-Dimmable120w-led-aquarium-light-coral-reef-grow-light-/251044827402?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DS IC.NPJS%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D5%26pmo d%3D251036599677%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7859152609616 822968#ht_864wt_934

Comment

Update!!

Was doing a lil more reading and found these LEDs and these ones seem a lot more promising and the spectrum's seem more promising :)

Comment

If your running a small tank you should try getting a kessil light ocean blue

Comment

It's more of trying something new. I'd like to eventually use the above LEDs (epistars) on a future setup :) I've heard that they're a bit better so I'll give these a shot instead

Comment

Working...
                              X