Sick Pleco?? Ewww. Help. Pix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sick Pleco?? Ewww. Help. Pix

I have two of them. This guy started getting these red spots all over his body, I have him quarantened but just kinda worried. What is it??? This is my first sick fish since I've had my aquariums.
    240 and 35 Cichlid tanks

How often do you do water changes?
    210gPetrochromis Macrognatus Green 'Nsumbu
    125g Mdoka White Lip

"Success is the willingness to fail"

Comment

It almost looks like he's burned, like his scales are missing. Water params ok? Any new chemicals added, anyone else sick or acting weird?
      All bleeding stops eventually...

Comment

Tank has not been altered in ant way since set up a year ago. The only thing I am lax on is the water changes on this tank. Now that it was brought up, im going to start doing it as often as I do the big tank. This was the only fish with this and I have to identical Algae eaters. This guy just died this morning, so I guess that fix that problem.
        240 and 35 Cichlid tanks

Comment

Oh man. Sorry to hear. How's the other one doing?

My plecos absolutely hate nitrates. I've noticed that if I ever let the nitrate get to even 5-10 ppm, they start acting funny. As soon as I do a water change, they go right back to normal.
          All bleeding stops eventually...

Comment

Originally posted by aquabee View Post
            Oh man. Sorry to hear. How's the other one doing?

My plecos absolutely hate nitrates. I've noticed that if I ever let the nitrate get to even 5-10 ppm, they start acting funny. As soon as I do a water change, they go right back to normal.
            +1 on plecos hating nitrates. Looking at the pics and going beyond water quality being the issue, my only guess would be a bacterial infection of some type. It could be simply effecting this one lone inhabitant or could have spread in the tank. I'd keep up water changes and be watchful for any others exhibiting any symptoms. Perhaps it was a high nitrate level that stressed its immune system and eventually lead to an infection, it seems to be the most logical idea in my mind. Good luck with your others and hopefully you've gotten to the source of its issue.
            In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
            Desiderius Erasmus
            GHAC President

Comment

I bet it needs a water change.
              210gPetrochromis Macrognatus Green 'Nsumbu
              125g Mdoka White Lip

"Success is the willingness to fail"

Comment

The other one died this morning. He had that redness on his underbelly. Darn. All my fry in the tank are fine...I'll tackle water changes on the small tank more often. Was getting to confident with that small tank.
                240 and 35 Cichlid tanks

Comment

Working...
                X