Fahaka puffer not eating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fahaka puffer not eating

I have a 10 inch Fahaka Puffer who is not eating, or at least not eating like he use to. I've had him for about 9 months and he's in a 55 gal tank. Water parameters (Nitrates, Nitrites, NH3, and pH) are fine. I do a 30% - 40% water change every week. Temp is around 80 deg F. He lives alone becuse he does not play well with others. I add aquarium salt after every water change. I feed him frozen bloodworms daily. Also give him snails out of a planted tank daily. As a treat, I give him a dozen feeder fish every other week and 2 - 3 crawfish monthly. He normally eats anything put in the tank within minutes. About three weeks ago, I noticed the snails were starting to build up in the tank. As I already said, this is unusual because snails typically don't make it to the bottom of the tank before being eaten. I tried tempting him the following day with a dozen feeder fish. This didn't interest him so I tried three crawfish. As of last night, there are pleanty of snails, at least 10 feeder fish and at least 2 crawfish. Crawfish and feeder fish are hard to count, but it does appear that a few of each are missing. Also, the daily bloodworms seem to be gone by following day (not in minutes as before). Not sure if the feeder fish or the puffer is responsible for the missing bloodworms. The puffer does not appear to have lost any weight, however, he is acting like a depressed teenager and just laying at the bottom of the tank. Is he just going through a "moody period" or should I be concerned?

May just be in a funk at the moment. Teeth are good? Not over grown?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Teeth are good. He gets alot of snails. I would say at least ten per day. Sometimes more.

Comment

What are the actual numbers of your water params? (Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates) That might be a key in figuring this out. Is there a specific reason you are adding salt with every WC? Any other changes to the tank?
        It might be a good idea to pull out the feeders, crawfish, etc until he is feeling better. They are adding to the bioload of a tank that is overstocked with just the Fahaka...they need much more space at that size...I'd start doing more like 50% W/C bi-weekly, or 75% weekly.
        Have you treated him for IP's at any point?
        "I think that God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability." -Oscar Wilde

Comment

Honestly I don't use salt for mine. Never done any treatment for ips either. Not to say that it may not have picked something up from the feeders.
          ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

NH3 and Nitrite are 0 ppm. Nitrate never over 10 ppm. pH is typically around 8 which is typical for tap water in my area (Sugar Land). I use prime as my water conditioner. I had a brakesh tank for several years. Recently got rid of the brakish tank. Currently have a 110 chiclid tank, a 75 gal tropheous tank, and a 29 gal biocube with saltwater. I put a small amount of salt in all my tanks (except a small planted tank and saltwater biocube). I have not changed anything since I got this fish when he was two inches long. The fact he has grown 5x since I got him suggest he likes how I treat him. The feeders were added after I noticed the build up of snails. Based upon water parameters, I don't think the bioload is too high.

Comment

Wow, those are great numbers for a fahaka that size in that set-up! Awesome. You must be running a ballin' filtration system...

The only reason I ask is because; simplest thing first, etc. I didn't mean to offend with the big-fish-small-tank stuff, I also have a big fahaka in too small a tank, I hate hearing it- I'm upgrading as soon as possible- but I know they're right. They need a 120+. Mine is 6'' in a 45 wide, and I have to work to keep my Nitrates under 20 (scoop out uneaten food immediately, scoop poo when I see it, etc- oh the things we do for the puffers we love! ), even with that heavy W/C schedule I mentioned above. And I don't feed mine nearly as much as you do.

Maybe someone more experienced can chime in, but my next thought is just that- too much food? If your params are right, his poo looks fine (no IP's, either from when he was captured or picked up from feeders), no other funny behavior, maybe it's just a question of his appetite changing? Funny that it was sudden like that, though. I think I've read on this forum somewhere from one of the more experienced puffer ladies it's recommended that after 6'', you cut back to feeding one good meal every other day, plus a snail or veg snack here and there. Maybe it was one small per day...I'll see if I can find it.

Yeah, I'm no expert and don't pretend to be, I'm still learning as I go on my first puffers, but I do a lot of reading on these forums and elsewhere...and as far as trouble-shooting goes, if it's not the water it may be the bit excessive feeding schedule is catching up with him!? Good luck!
              "I think that God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability." -Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by LooksLater View Post
                Wow, those are great numbers for a fahaka that size in that set-up! Awesome. You must be running a ballin' filtration system...

The only reason I ask is because; simplest thing first, etc. I didn't mean to offend with the big-fish-small-tank stuff, I also have a big fahaka in too small a tank, I hate hearing it- I'm upgrading as soon as possible- but I know they're right. They need a 120+. Mine is 6'' in a 45 wide, and I have to work to keep my Nitrates under 20 (scoop out uneaten food immediately, scoop poo when I see it, etc- oh the things we do for the puffers we love! ), even with that heavy W/C schedule I mentioned above. And I don't feed mine nearly as much as you do.

Maybe someone more experienced can chime in, but my next thought is just that- too much food? If your params are right, his poo looks fine (no IP's, either from when he was captured or picked up from feeders), no other funny behavior, maybe it's just a question of his appetite changing? Funny that it was sudden like that, though. I think I've read on this forum somewhere from one of the more experienced puffer ladies it's recommended that after 6'', you cut back to feeding one good meal every other day, plus a snail or veg snack here and there. Maybe it was one small per day...I'll see if I can find it.

Yeah, I'm no expert and don't pretend to be, I'm still learning as I go on my first puffers, but I do a lot of reading on these forums and elsewhere...and as far as trouble-shooting goes, if it's not the water it may be the bit excessive feeding schedule is catching up with him!? Good luck!
                Alot of good info in those words.
                ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Here is the post I was thinking of...about 3/4 of the way down on pg 3, Edmlfc starts talking about feeding schedules.
                  http://www.houstonfishbox.com/vforum...fer%2C+feeding

Comment

You tried soaking some of his food in garlic? Some people have had great success with that. I know Kent's makes a garlic solution.
                    All bleeding stops eventually...

Comment

Good Call Aquabee!! Had completely forgot about that
                      In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
                      Desiderius Erasmus
                      GHAC President

Comment

Hit up the asian market nearby (VIetHoa/bissonet/belt-HongKong/Bellaire) and get some fresh clams for him, soak the clam in some table salt water for an hour or so and then split it on the half shell. Soaking it in some garlic like bee stated and offer it to him, I've yet to have a puffer/trigger/etc deny that stuff.
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

You can even buy frozen if it looks good and feed that stuff instead of feeders, those feeder tanks aren't really kept in the greatest condition so problems could easily be transferred into your tank/puffer.

Another option would be to set up a holding/quarantine tank for feeders and gut load them before feeding.
                          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                          X