bubble algae

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bubble algae

Has anyone dealt with green bubble algae and what did you find the most effective to control it? Mine is already invading coral territory

I don't know if this will work on large areas of algae but when I see a small patch. I would do a water change and position the tube just over it. Then I would scrap it so that it would go into the tube and not spread in the tank. Did this a couple of times and no more algae.
    Resident fish bum
    330G FOWLR
    34G Reef
    330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
    28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
    Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Thanks ill try this.

Comment

Just make sure you don't pop them cause spores will be all over!
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

what darbex suggested does help. emerald crabs also help. but keeping nitrates and phosphates low or non-existant is really the key.
          25g - Reef
          3.5g - Surge Tank
          10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

+1....

What type of water are you using?

Where you getting it from?

How much you feeding?

Algae is growing bc you have nutrients in the water.
            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

I'm using the water from the water mills found through out town and I feed once a day lightly

Comment

The water mill is most likely the culprit.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

So, either buy distilled water or make a trip to the lfs everytime I'm guessing... My phosphates lvls were good is there something else I should be checking

Comment

Yeah. And my technique will help when you pop them and making sure the spores dont get out. But you have to make sure you are right on-top of the algae so you can make sure that the spores are going into the tube.
                    Resident fish bum
                    330G FOWLR
                    34G Reef
                    330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                    28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                    Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

well, i'm trying not to change my coralife salt mix but petsmart (closest place to get coralife salt) stopped carrying it, so i havent done a wc to remove the algae... but today i went to look at the tank, and i guess the chaeto has ben doing its job since i added light to my ac refugium because some of the bubble algea seem to be pooped and its numbers diminishing.... most of the algae had appeared just before i got the chaeto

Comment

I'd strongly recommend you consider installing a RO/DI system. They produce 0 ppm total dissolved solids (TDS) water and include a meter so you can be sure of that. That will help reduce unwanted nutrients from your system. You avoid having to spend gas and money running out to purchase water. You can “T” off before the DI stage and use it for drinking water and or fresh water tanks (the 0 TDS RO/DI water has no buffering ability in it by its self—in salt water the salt you add fixes that. If you do use the RO water for fresh water, periodically monitor your pH to make sure its stable). The RO/DI systems do produce a fair bit of waste water—maybe 1 to 5 if I remember correctly. It is possible to divert the waste water to a barrel to water your garden with. Bulk Reef Supply makes RO/DI systems that are nicely put together. This is their top shelf one http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/...xe-system.html for $279.99--but they make a number of less expensive systems—and they can custom make it for you if you like--just adding the features to the base model that you want.
                        Whether you go with them or not they have a whole bunch of instructional videos on their youtube channel on how to choose a RO/DI system, numerous ways to install it (all fairly simple) and how to use and maintain it. This one of them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rde9L...eature=related

If you figure in the ability to make your own purified drinking water with the ability to always have top up water and water to mix on hand, plus the best quality water available for your tank—it’s a good investment.

Another tip to avoid putting excess nutrients in your tank—if you are feeding frozen foods—let them thaw and drain off all of the juice. The juice is just adding nutrients most of your critters can’t use, but is helping to feed your bubble algae.

Do you have a thread or any pictures posted up of your salt water tank?
                        While I'm not reef ready, I am salt ernate lifestyle curious...

Comment

Working...
                        X