My planted tank and my story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My planted tank and my story

Hello everyone. This is a new build I'm working on. It's still a work in progress but overall I'm happy with it so far. I had a planted tank long ago but I never really concentrated on the aquascaping. After moving into a new place the desire to have a nice tranquil tank hit me like a brick. I began planning and coming up with an actual plan. Everything went very smoothly. This tank has only been up since Jan 21st. Here is day 1...

In the early days of the setup I had the typical white scum on the water surface and also white fuz on the driftwood. More plants where added. This is roughly day 10. Notice the growth rate of the onion plant. That's just crazy!!

Here is the latest...

I like the combination of the leafy and bushy in this area. I'll most likely build a similar combination on the left side. Oh yeah, I plan to black out the back glass this weekend. I was torn on what to do with it.

The fish look super happy and everyone seems to get along.
    Sometimes the angels get a little food aggressive. So I'm feeding the angels at one side and the rest at the other.

The ottos have done an amazing job at keeping the place spotless!

I added the little ground coverage I could get my hands on about a week ago.

For a while the angels appeared to be surfing the onion plant leaves as they waved across the tank. Even a couple of ottos jumped on for the ride. It was kinda comical.

I'm not exactly sure what's next. I have some Christmas tree moss coming next week. I plan to attach some of that to the driftwood. I want to setup a moon light to provide just a little light at night. The background is getting blacked out this weekend. I think that's it for now. Hope you all enjoyed the pics. :biggrin:

Like!
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

looks great. you can always try taping a black hefty bag to the back if you arent sure about the blacked out look. i often do that, i think it makes the fish feel more secure. criunm grows like crazy when its happy and it doesnt die back as much as vals do when the leaves get too long.
      75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
      28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
      12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
      29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
      45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
      33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

Originally posted by Totenkampf View Post
        looks great. you can always try taping a black hefty bag to the back if you arent sure about the blacked out look. i often do that, i think it makes the fish feel more secure. criunm grows like crazy when its happy and it doesnt die back as much as vals do when the leaves get too long.
        I had hoped to get my hands on some more plants this weekend. Unfortunately I'm sick in bed and not feeling well. I purchased a "black film" from FishGallery. I'm still going to try to get this in place this weekend. I know it's going to look so much better with the contrast between the background and light plants. Last night I was doing a lot of thinking... I'm thinking of moving on to co2. :) Agh so much to do! But I LOVE it!

Comment

Originally posted by Totenkampf View Post
          Good call on the trash bag, I've never thought of that. We've been grabbing colored posterboard and taping those up to try out color and change it on a whim.

Looking forward to updates, I bet the blacked-out background is going to look great against all that green!
          "I think that God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability." -Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by LooksLater View Post
            Good call on the trash bag, I've never thought of that. We've been grabbing colored posterboard and taping those up to try out color and change it on a whim.

Looking forward to updates, I bet the blacked-out background is going to look great against all that green!
            I use the colored poster board, too. It works nice to experiment with different looks.

Mark
            What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

The tank looks good. The only thing I'd have done different would have been to place the driftwood off-center a few inches and tilt it so it doesn't look so vertical. I know you didn't ask for critiques... just my two nickels.

Mark
              What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Tank looks great, good job!

Comment

Originally posted by wesleydnunder View Post
                  The tank looks good. The only thing I'd have done different would have been to place the driftwood off-center a few inches and tilt it so it doesn't look so vertical. I know you didn't ask for critiques... just my two nickels.

Mark
                  No I totally appreciate the feedback. I'm a photographer so I often follow the rule of 1/3s but for some reason the driftwood called to me and asked to be centered.. :) but now you got me thinking. lol

Comment

Working...
                  X