what brand is this skimmer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what brand is this skimmer?

This came off a wet/dry skimmer combo and the skimmer just came off. only thing is that the collection cup is missing, I don't know how to set this up (it runs like a PM skimmer or same body design i think) i'll post pictures in a bit.

it stands about 1' and 4 1/2 width wise and the mouth is about 2". ideas where to get a collection cup?

I'm guessing this is the intake part. how do you exactly do this? ive seen people use pvc and hook it to the pump some how

I've seen most outflows near the bottom on some skimmers but, this one was basically near the top. should i just let it flow where it'll be? (first chamber)

Comment

anyone like to chime in?

Comment

>.> anyone?

Comment

I've never bought one of these new but you
          could either run a strong air pump with a
          wood block to create microbubbles to lift
          protein into the collection cup or go with a
          needle wheel pump to pump into the hole
          while adjusting the height of the body in the
          wet/dry area which will give you the control
          over the skim.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

hmmmm i'll probably try the needle wheel pump. just need to find a decent one.

Comment

Skimmer

Originally posted by ometh View Post
              hmmmm i'll probably try the needle wheel pump. just need to find a decent one.
              I have a wet and dry with a built-in skimmer that looks exactly like that. It is worthless. Don't waste your money on buying a pump that feeds it.

The skimmer's most important part is the pump that can pull in the most air bubbles, along with a good skimmer's body which allows long contact time between bubbles and the gunk and allow the gunk to stick to the bubbles and rise to the top of skimmer's body. The bubbles then burst and deposit the gunk into the skimmer's cup.

That built-in skimmer does not provide long contact time, it even allows a lot of bubbles and feed water to escape outside of its body. Even with the best of pumps, a good part of its effort is lost.
              Last edited by rage; 02-07-2012, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rage View Post
                I have a wet and dry with a built-in skimmer that looks exactly like that. It is worthless. Don't waste your money on buying a pump that feeds it.

The skimmer's most important part is the pump that can pull in the most air bubbles, along with a good skimmer's body which allows long contact time between bubbles and the gunk and allow the gunk to stick to the bubbles and rise to the top of skimmer's body. The bubbles then burst and deposit the gunk into the skimmer's cup.

That built-in skimmer allows a lot of bubbles and feed water to escape outside of its body. Even with the best of pumps, a good part of its effort is lost.
                good to know. I might just use it in a in sump and use an old strong air pump like Q said above for like a small tank I have planned for the future.

Comment

Working...
                X