pvc prefilter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pvc prefilter?

ive seen this in some of the smaller tanks (i.e. 20-40) and the tank will be pre-drilled and with a bulk head but this is what threw me off. on top of the bulk head a piece of pvc pipe was used as a prefilter? is this method as effective as the hobs and the acrylic ones? i was thinking about doing this for another shallow tank and use a buzz saw to make quarter inch stripes across the pipe instead of it overflowing from the top. suggestions?

Do you mean prefilter? Or do you mean overflow?

I've seen it done with overflows. Works MUCH better than the HOB acrylic types. Theres no way to lose your siphon and you can use a loose 90 on it to adjust your water level. You do lose the skimming effect though. I had a fluval filter that I made a strainer and spray bar for out of PVC. You could cut rather large slots and slip a sponge over it if you wanted to get fancy.
    135 gal Fahaka Puffer
    150 gal Threadfin Acaras, Angels, Red Spotted Severum, Gold Severum, and a Silver Dollar
    185 gal Demasoni, Yellow Labs, Venustus, Rustys, Plecos, Clown Loaches, and Sharks

Comment

I'm assuming he means overflow.

I have tried this before. It works just fine. Only issue I had was nose.

But if you are doing a shallow tank or a slow flowing return pump you should be good.
      I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
        I'm assuming he means overflow.

I have tried this before. It works just fine. Only issue I had was nose.

But if you are doing a shallow tank or a slow flowing return pump you should be good.
        Yes I meant overflow :P Ok I was considering this method because last time I did the acrylic in tank overflow box I got fustrated when my dog stepped on it and broke it -_-. I do have one question though about this. Should I make incisions on the side of the pipe and should I put a cap on top of the pipe or leave it open for skimming?

Comment

Incisions is a good idea. I wouldn't cap it.

Just make the incisions deep so that some of the pipe sticks out above water so nothing falls in there.
          I ate my fish that died.

Comment

sounds good I'll get on it tuesday!

Comment

This the 90g?

Honest I would just put a mame overflow on it.

If its not RR, mame is the best next thing. Everything else just looks cheap.
              I ate my fish that died.

Comment

nah another shallow tank i'm doing. My first shallow was for coral frags but, this one will be a bit more of a display with some of the bigger pieces in it. I just wanted to knwo about the pvc because last time I made an overflow for this size tank (40 gallon shallow) it was a pain in the ***. So I wanted to go this route, plus I have access to clear pvc so it'll look cleaner.

Comment

Working...
                X