30 gallon shallow reef tank lighting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30 gallon shallow reef tank lighting question

So I'm not sure what to really get for this tank. the dimensions are 24x24x12 it's a fairly good size tank and I decided to go the reef tank way. I have a coralife 24" dual compact light but, I'm not sure if it'll over heat the tank to much. Can I get some adivce on what lighting I should get? Oh I'm mainly leaning towards doing a LPS and softie tank.

Soft coral are more forgiving. If its a dual compact fluorescent set up I think you will actually do well if the bulbs are fairly new.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Your power compact could sustain lps and softies although I wouldn't expect much growth. A kessil led would be awesome over this tank but you are looking at $300 . Next choice would be a 4 x 24 T5. Can keep anything with that from soft to SPS

Comment

Yea the dual compact was something I just had laying around. I have a MH on my 90 reef and figured even a 60 watt MH would be to much for a shallow tank so I figured a PC would be ok for LPS and softies because of how shallow it is and the light doesn't have to penetrate so much to hit the coarls.

Comment

Originally posted by semper View Post
          Next choice would be a 4 x 24 T5. Can keep anything with that from soft to SPS
          what would be a good brand? I've heard that Aquaticlife T5HO are really good.

Comment

I have the exact same dims.

I've experimented with all the lighting out there, with exception to plasma. Right now, I'm running a Radium 250w (mogul) on a Icecap electronic ballast. My reflector is a standard spider reflector (really all you need with these shallow tanks). It's about 16" above the water line, and my corals are bouncing back (they were starved of light for 3-4 days, a couple of weeks ago). So far, I'm liking the the response I'm getting from my corals.

I have some DIY LEDs that I would need to refab on the bracket, but could go that route if needed. I just tuned the Meanwell drivers where I want them, and all I'd need to do is reposition my heat sinks a little bit. I like the way LEDs look over a tank, too. They shimmer nicely with optics.

T5's were over my last tank. With the footprint of these little tanks, you could put 6-8 bulbs over it to give yourself some really great color combo's!

It really is preference, but you'll want the lights to sit a bit higher since the tank is so shallow. I have my floating canopy on chains so I can raise and lower depending on my needs, or the way the corals respond to the lighting that I have tucked into the canopy at the time. :)

Comment

The Aquaticlife T5 will work well (get the one with the built in timer). The only downside to the aquaticlife fixture are the bulbs. They work but you will want to switch out your bulbs at some point. I personally run ATI and Geisman bulbs. Both are really nice high end products.
              180 - reef
              30 - reef

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
                The Aquaticlife T5 will work well (get the one with the built in timer). The only downside to the aquaticlife fixture are the bulbs. They work but you will want to switch out your bulbs at some point. I personally run ATI and Geisman bulbs. Both are really nice high end products.
                Yea I've heard problems with the blubs and I was planning to change them out after maybe 4 months or just use the blubs for something else.

Comment

Originally posted by flipside View Post
                  I have the exact same dims.

I've experimented with all the lighting out there, with exception to plasma. Right now, I'm running a Radium 250w (mogul) on a Icecap electronic ballast. My reflector is a standard spider reflector (really all you need with these shallow tanks). It's about 16" above the water line, and my corals are bouncing back (they were starved of light for 3-4 days, a couple of weeks ago). So far, I'm liking the the response I'm getting from my corals.

I have some DIY LEDs that I would need to refab on the bracket, but could go that route if needed. I just tuned the Meanwell drivers where I want them, and all I'd need to do is reposition my heat sinks a little bit. I like the way LEDs look over a tank, too. They shimmer nicely with optics.

T5's were over my last tank. With the footprint of these little tanks, you could put 6-8 bulbs over it to give yourself some really great color combo's!

It really is preference, but you'll want the lights to sit a bit higher since the tank is so shallow. I have my floating canopy on chains so I can raise and lower depending on my needs, or the way the corals respond to the lighting that I have tucked into the canopy at the time. :)
                  I was debating weather or not if I should hang it from the ceiling because of where the tank is going to be it's going to be a lil awkward to put chains up. (the ceiling is slanted at a 45* angel) but, the more I think about it the more I think I might have to because I was just going to mount the fixture on top the tank. I think that it would cause to much heat and pluse I think I might get 2 T5 fixtures and put them side by side.

Comment

Another consideration is the access to the inside of the tank for maintenance.
                    I have a 72" MH fixture sitting on my 125G and it covers the surface of the tank making it difficult to reach inside to clean the substrate or glasses.

Comment

Originally posted by rage View Post
                      Another consideration is the access to the inside of the tank for maintenance.
                      I have a 72" MH fixture sitting on my 125G and it covers the surface of the tank making it difficult to reach inside to clean the substrate or glasses.
                      Moviing the fixtures isn't to much of a big deal to me. I'd rather have mounts (if possible without heat problems) rather then chains where I can't move the light to much.

Comment

That's a good idea, unless you're rimless. My tank is, so I did a floating canopy... Mine is still a WIP, but here's a shot (looks a little different now, though):

How I mounted my light... It's currently 16" from the water's surface:

Comment

Thats a thought to do a floating. Mine isn't rimless so I could mount it but again I worry about heat. If there is any I might just get that zoo med cooling fan. Speaking of which are the zoo med t5 fixtures any good? Haven't heard much about them.

Comment

No clue... Do you plan on running a sump?

Comment

Originally posted by flipside View Post
                              No clue... Do you plan on running a sump?
                              yes I do a 20 long with a hob skimmer on it. It's mostly refugium and I added an extended hoes to the maxi jet to the skimmer to reach in the sump and it's running like a champ.

Comment

Working...
                              X