To CHILL or not to CHILL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To CHILL or not to CHILL

Hello All! I am new to the saltwater hobby. I have been successful with cichlids but now want to move on.

I am considering a reef tank. I have been reading a lot and enjoy learning about the saltwater hobby. I’m looking forward to it.

One question I have is, is a Chiller needed? It gets pretty hot here in Houston over the summers. I normally keep my house at 78 degrees when I’m gone and 73 when I’m home. Is that going to be a problem along with the lighting that will be needed for the reef?

It would be great if I didn’t need a chiller as those things can get pricey!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Mike

I've never had a chiller. I just use a couple of $10 fans from Walmart. I have a controller that turns the fans on when temp gets over 79.
    I have a 125G with 3x150 watt Metal Halide on a 9-10hr/ per day schedule.
    I keep my house at 78, 79F all the time and my tank fluctuates between 79-81.

Comment

keeping your house at those temps, you shouldnt need to use chiller

i have my house set at 77 all the time

and never had to use chillers,

i have several reef tanks , using metal halides 2 x 250 and also running T5 HO

Comment

No chiller! hahaha :) as long as your A/c doesn't crash for an extended period of time

Comment

Cooling through evaporation has always worked for me even with extreme lighting.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Awesome!!! That is what I wanted to hear! Thanks for all the replies. Now one last thing, is it possible to maintain a reef tank with Houston area water or should I wait until I can get and RO/DI unit. I actually live in Katy but I'm pretty sure the water is the same or close to it out of the tap. Once again, thanks for all the replies!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike777 View Post
              Awesome!!! That is what I wanted to hear! Thanks for all the replies. Now one last thing, is it possible to maintain a reef tank with Houston area water or should I wait until I can get and RO/DI unit. I actually live in Katy but I'm pretty sure the water is the same or close to it out of the tap. Once again, thanks for all the replies!
              I hear that you can use tap water for fish only tank. One or 2 people said they use it for reef.

I wouldn't. I think you may get away for a little while and then your tank crashes once the "bad" stuffs accumulate enough. (The pure water evaporates, all the bad stuffs stay in your tank)

Comment

Originally posted by rage View Post
                I hear that you can use tap water for fish only tank. One or 2 people said they use it for reef.

I wouldn't. I think you may get away for a little while and then your tank crashes once the "bad" stuffs accumulate enough. (The pure water evaporates, all the bad stuffs stay in your tank)
                I knew that was the answer after what I have read. I will wait to set up my reef tank until I have a RO/DI unit installed in my laundry room. I really don't want to bother with going to a LFS and buy water. I want to have everything in place and in my house before I start. Need to keep my reef happy and healthy once I get going!

Thanks for the advice!

Comment

If you're worried about heat then consider alternatives to MH lighting that produce less heat (T5 and LED). I use T5s and don't even have to use fans on my cube.

You will want to use RODI water for your reef. Years ago I did tap (mixed with kalk) and had no problems but I think I was very lucky...I don't do it now and wouldn't do it again. It's to risky when you've got a lot of money invested in the system.
                  180 - reef
                  30 - reef

Comment

i dont use RODI and my tanks are spotless of algae

knock on wood.

it can be done, done it for 8 years now

Comment

Originally posted by semper View Post
                      i dont use RODI and my tanks are spotless of algae

knock on wood.

it can be done, done it for 8 years now
                      I don't know what you keep and what else you do to take care of your tank. Maybe it works for you.

I just find it's hard to go against advices of the experts from all over, people in the trade, public aquariums ... to use RO/ DI water.

Comment

i keep a little bit of everything

mind you this is in 5 reef tanks, not just one

i keep a little bit of everything from a to z

acros, blastos, candy canes, digis, elephant ear mushrooms, frogspawn, gsp, well you get the pic

some experts believe rodi is a scam also

to get people to spend on equipment and stuff

im just saying it can be done

alot of people on here have seen my tanks, and they all say the same thing,

how is there never any algae on your tanks

and you have to take into account that i work a seven day a week job , working 12 hours a day

some of my tanks dont even have a skimmer

running wet/drys and socks

alot of experts say you cant do that either

well im here if anybody wants to take a look

Comment

I went without a skimmer for a couple years. Sock pulls out more IMO. No need for a chiller unless you have halides, glass tops and lots of pumps. Those are the big 3 contributors for heat. I had a chiller and sold it. Someone in marsh uses the waste water for an Lps tank. Lps and mushrooms love the municiple water. It just needs to be treated with prime or something. Phosphates in tap water is why people get algae from it.

Comment

Working...
                          X