• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Molly breeding

So.... I've collected a few mollies.

Trio of dalmation lyretail
    Black female
    Creamsicle lyretail female

If I crossbred them would I get that cool calico looking molly?
    700g Mini-Monster tank

with enough interbreeding between them you may get what you're looking for Quoc. Without controlled breeding of segregated fish it's a crap shoot on what the offspring will look like... depends on what's dominant and recessive in each fish.

Hope this helps some.

Mark
    What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Really makes you appreciate those that have the patience to breed the good qualities.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Yeah, some Great things happen by chance, but most definately don't. It would be an interesting project to document all the attotd.
        75 planted (Being Renovated)
        Endlers
        gobies
        lots of nanos

Comment

I don't have the patience like others, I went and bought a pair to my liking and lucky me the big female dropped a ton of fry!
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Ek, i have a community tank with some wild mollies and a couple lyretails. I keep plenty of live plants and a good temp. Do you think my mollies wont drop b/c of the other fish in the tank?

200 - African cichlids
            72 - Salty Bow Front
            33 Cube - community
            10's - Freshwater Shrimp

Comment

I doubt it's cause of the other fish, I honestly don't know if there is a real science behind it since I've always just "add water" and I have molly babies.

If there's nothing in the tank that would suffer from it maybe add a bit of aquarium salt/Sea salt to the tank.
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I've added salt, fed worms, algae disc, added xmas moss, and changed the water regularly. Still nothing. My buddy "adds water" and gets two females to drop.

200 - African cichlids
                72 - Salty Bow Front
                33 Cube - community
                10's - Freshwater Shrimp

Comment

Just wait it out, she might not be ready.
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

ek...eventually you will breed back to the beginning and end up with green mollies, like the ones living in the bayou.
                    I love lyretails, they sorta occured naturally but are hard to maintain if crossed with delta tails.
                    I mostly love Sailfins, from Green wild to Platinum and on.
                    Working for a better Future for my Fish!

Sailfin Mollies, Plecos, Corys,, 1 lonely Jewel Cichlid

Comment

Working...
                    X