loach violence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loach violence

Hey all. I'm in Cali right now visiting the folks and decided to do some maintenance on their TruVu 55g. When I got here, it had only 2 huge platies, 1 male guppy, 1 molly, 2 clown loaches about 4" long, and a red sailfin pleco about 9-10" long. I basically redid the entire canister (which hadn't been opened in about a year!) and did a 50% WC. The tank had been functioning on regular water changes, the nasty canister, and a UGF. Parameters were still fine (amazingly). I rearranged the rocks and driftwood and added some fake plants, as well as an AC HOB filter. Then I went to the store and got some platies, a couple mollies, and 8 priscilla tetras.

Soon after adding them to the tank, one of the clown loaches started swimming in the upper water column and was actually chasing after some of the fish. I thought it was benign until it DOVE after a platy and took out its eyes! And then chomped on them!! The poor fish was spiraling and trying to get its bearings and I felt SO awful that I ended up putting it to sleep. Then the same loach started diving at other fish and I immediately netted it and now the net is hanging at the top the tank with the loach in it. The other loach is just chillin in the tank and not going after any of the fish. But both of them are goin to the LFS as soon as it opens.

I mean... wth?? I thought clown loaches were mainly shy and peaceful! I've had them for years and years in various tanks with various tank mates and I've never seen anything like this. Can anyone shed some light on why this may have happened?? I know fish act on instinct, but... whoa.

All bleeding stops eventually...

Ideas? Anyone ever see this happen?

Comment

Wow. Uh...no. Never seen a loach act like that. You have any frozen krill or something else meaty you can put in there with him?
      Our Fishhouse
      Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

I considered that they were underfed but they grew so beautifully that the possibility of underfeeding didn't really make sense. They both went to the LFS a couple hours ago and were placed in a huge tank with very large fish. Hehe. I came back with some panda corys, to which my mom turned up her nose and stated, "Well they're just fine but they don't look like clown loaches." ... Right.

Maybe that crazy loach got a brain prion disease like mad cow disease. Or maybe he just went rogue. Who knows.

Comment

Similar story here
          Here also

I guess as with any species watch the larger ones being mixed with the little ones. I have some Kubotai loaches that have grown somewhat. They seem to follow my cardinal tetras around. Granted my cardinals are a decent size so they just zip away.

Comment

Originally posted by aquaticsnerd View Post
            Similar story here
            Here also
            I guess as with any species watch the larger ones being mixed with the little ones. I have some Kubotai loaches that have grown somewhat. They seem to follow my cardinal tetras around. Granted my cardinals are a decent size so they just zip away.
            OMG! That picture with the gracilis missing its eyes... that's exactly what it did to the platy! Wow. Well, good to know this bit of info. Thanks aquaticsnerd.

Comment

Thump his arse!
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Ive had similar problems with my planted 55 but my situations different because its to be expected. I mean I know red tail sharks are semi aggressive but Ive had em for 4yrs he's 4.5in. He's aggressive to some of the other fish when its feeding time but the poor cory who has only one eye he's always picking on em. Then again Ive had the cory for about 4 years too. I was gonna give the red tail to my parents when I gave em my angels but I couldnt catch em so now he's here to stay. Am I wrong for keeping em? I mean both my kids say I should get rid of em but he aint never killed no fish, just chased the ishh out of em. To me it seems more natural, in the wild you got predators, in my planted you gotta watch ya arse...

Comment

Just keep him until he starts to murder folk.

Comment

My clown loach has been m.i.a for a few hours now I think my font gottem
                    Out of the hobby for now..

Comment

Doubt the front got him unless there's sheds or your front is next.

Those loaches have switch blades for defense
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Lol my font is about 5 in the loach was about 1 in they hadem at petsmart for 2.50 but all small now thinking bout getting a goby...but need to find a lfs who has them

Comment

Careful having the goby with the fronts!

Comment

I've had 16"+ arowana have a hard time putting down 2" clowns
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Why is that aqua bee..

Comment

Working...
                              X