MBU puffer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MBU puffer

Hey guys and gals I was curious to how long I should wait before offering my Mbu a crawfish? And how often if ever, I figure I would use it as a snack? Right The little one is about 3-4 in.

I'm sure the puffer could handle crawfish already. If you're worried, remove the crawfish's claws before dropping it in the tank. Crawfish are a natural food for the puffer, so you can feed them as often as you like. Some variation in diet never hurts.

Comment

some people feed crawfish as a snack but I guess you can feed it as often as you want as long as you don't overfeed him/her. How large is your tank and are you housing more then 1 puffer?

Comment

thanks for the responses. Thinking I gonna pick up 1 or 2 from city pets, I thought I saw some samller ones there.

Comment

I recommend getting only one because these guys can grow to 27" and need really large tanks as in more than 500+ gallons.

Comment

Lol, I was talking about getting one or two crawfish for my little guy. Thanks for the info though.

Comment

Do not get a mbu puffer. Purchase a linatus or something small that you can handle. Mbu get too big for home aquariums and eventually suffer greatly from malnutrition (example, being fed crawfish all the time.)
              Merritt Adkins
              Science Adviser/Marine Biologist

Got a question? Ask A Marine Biologist!

Check these cool sites out!
              Captive Aquatics: Houston Aquarium Service, Houston Aquarium Installation, and more!
              The Captive Aquatics Blog: aquarium articles, pictures, videos, product reviws, and more!

Comment

Would a mbu puffer do alright in a 600 gallon aquarium by itself or is it still too small.

Comment

A 600 gallon tank would be okay up to a point. These guys get huge and fast. My mbu is about 18 inches and I have only had him for two years. He is growing too fast. I have a 540 but he will have to be moved to a 1000 gallon tank. I just feel that these guys get too big from home aquariums and should never be bought. Please chaser something smaller like a lineatus puffer which are more easily housed in homes and are easier to keep.
                  Merritt Adkins
                  Science Adviser/Marine Biologist

Got a question? Ask A Marine Biologist!

Check these cool sites out!
                  Captive Aquatics: Houston Aquarium Service, Houston Aquarium Installation, and more!
                  The Captive Aquatics Blog: aquarium articles, pictures, videos, product reviws, and more!

Comment

An 8x4x3 600 should be good for an mbu
                    mmm...pancakes

Comment

Just dwarf it but make sure you provide a varied diet, making your own mix and adding supplements would be ideal.
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                      X