Feeding CRS shrimps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeding CRS shrimps

i was wondering if you needed to feed them often. i heard that they require feeding so they don't go hungry throughout the day. I currently have 10 in a 5 gallon and they don't seem to eat very much of the algae wafers i give them (only 1/8 of a disc). they seem to cling to the filter and indian almond leaf to pick at it. food ends up sitting at the bottom of the tank for a day. should i feed them every other day instead?

im also going to buy a moss ball tomorrow, heard they like to eat off of those too. that would cut down my feeding as well right?

thanks,
    victor

They are eating stuff from the filter foam, and stuff from the plants. I put algae wafer or two in my tank some of the shrimp will eat from it others don't. My oto cats end up eating what the shrimp don't. I only put algae discs in every other day. Get some shrimp food made for dwarf. My shrimp will fight over it lol.

Also what size algae discs are you using? Ten shrimp won't really eat much.
    Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

i had read some that they are scavengers so they don't need to be feed everyday.. that seems to work well for my shrimp..

North American Discus Association, Secretary (N.A.D.A.)
      N.A.D.A Facebook
      Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Comment

Mine have always been picky with algae discs, but I agree with Sunkenmetal mine always attack my shrimp specific food with a zeal and grow much faster
        In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
        Desiderius Erasmus
        GHAC President

Comment

For Shrimp specific food I am currently using Hikari Tropical Shrimp Cuisine. I want to try the NLS Crustacean Formula but having a hard time finding it.

But anyway I just put the shrimp food on some Java Moss I have tied to some rocks and the shrimp come out of hiding and eat it. I only feed them like that three times a week. The rest of the time they graze on whatever they find on filter foams and other decor in the tank.
          Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Ya I feed my crs a few flakes 2 or 3 times a week the rest of the time they feed off the micro film from my plants or wood. What Im curious about is I finally have alot of baby crs swimming around and if I should feed them anything different or keep doing what Im doing. My shrimp dont seem to like algae waffers

Comment

Originally posted by AquaticAddict View Post
              Ya I feed my crs a few flakes 2 or 3 times a week the rest of the time they feed off the micro film from my plants or wood. What Im curious about is I finally have alot of baby crs swimming around and if I should feed them anything different or keep doing what Im doing. My shrimp dont seem to like algae waffers
              The baby and Juvie shrimp in my tank eat the same stuff as the Adults...
              Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Shirakura is what I have used for years and they do offer a juvenile food supplement for more offspring, though they will usually also eat what the parents do. I had to import mine from Japan, but it looks like they have US distribution finally.
                In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
                Desiderius Erasmus
                GHAC President

Comment

I use a coffee bean grinder to pulverize the algae wafers. I only put a very tiny amount of the powder into the tank. As it falls, it clings to the java moss where the shrimp will find it.

It seems to me the shrimp would rather scavenge for the food than find big chunks of food that they were fed.
                  Jarrod - Houston, Texas
                  150 gallon - my African cichlid monster tank (I know it isn't a big as yours)
                  17 gallon - Threadfin rainbows and corys lightly planted
                  5 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder
                  3 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder

Comment

thanks for the reply guys! i was wondering where i would be able to find these shrimp specific foods. hikari shrimp cuisine, shirakura, and anything else you guys recommend. ill try grinding up the wafers until i get some lol, they seem to do fine without it so far.

Comment

any names for lfs would help me a bunch for my search for shrimp specific food! thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by sunkenmetal View Post
                        Also what size algae discs are you using? Ten shrimp won't really eat much.
                        i break off a tiny portion of it. its the size of a pellet lol.

Comment

ADG carries 'ADA Original Bee Shrimp Food' and City Pets carries a shrimp specific food as well. I don't remember the name, though.
                          Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                          Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                          Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                          Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

City pets has the Hikari brand...
                            Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

thanks guys, looks like ill be heading to city pets in a bit to pick up the food and my moss ball lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X