Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Painting the back of a tank. IYO what is the best color?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting the back of a tank. IYO what is the best color?

I am about to the paint the back of my tank and was wondering what color people liked the best. All of my tanks have painted backs and it has always been black. This is just kind of a general post to see what people like and why. Please dont just say a color, explain why you like it.

TNT

If it's a FW tank, I prefer black. For SW I like royal blue backgrounds. I think the contrast between SW livestock and royal blue is exceptional and a black background just doesn't add as much contrast, IMHO.
    http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

See I have always heard different about the black. I have always thought the black made the SW pop better. Have you ever seen anything other then black/blue?

Comment

No I haven't. I don't think anything else works as well as black and blue. I think it's a matter of individual preference really, and mine is as I stated above.
        http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

Black makes the overall tank look better in the room, the royal blue makes fish colors pop, but is a pretty hideous color for a room.

Comment

all my funiture is either black or ebony stain wood... so thats why i painted my black, it matches all my other stuff... maybe you should photoshop your tank in your living room to see which color you prefer...
            -Chowchaucow

Comment

I like black. It helps everything else stand out.
              Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
              Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
              Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
              Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

I have always liked royal blue at the top fading into a black at teh bottom of the tank, looks a bit more natural to me.

Comment

I'm partial to variations of seafoam green.
                  135 gal Fahaka Puffer
                  150 gal Threadfin Acaras, Angels, Red Spotted Severum, Gold Severum, and a Silver Dollar
                  185 gal Demasoni, Yellow Labs, Venustus, Rustys, Plecos, Clown Loaches, and Sharks

Comment

Mine's black, but removeable. Black adds more contrast to the corals, not blue. Blue looks cleaner, but I never clean the back of my tank, any way (most of us don't).

Personally, I've never seen the point in painting the back of a tank (and I have done this before)... Just put something on there that you can remove with velcro, or something. You can hide where the velcro is stuck on the tank with your overflows, or at the top and bottom. Mine is a laminated material... it kind of resembles cardboard from a cardboard box, but it's fully laminated. Sign making companies usually have it in stock, or you can order it online.

Comment

IMO black is the only way to go for SW. Seafoam green is the most rediculous color for a backround I've ever seen don't listen to that he is not thinking correctly
                      Custom Aquarium Cabinets Justin Henry 281-739-8723

Comment

Walmart sells poster board in Black and Blue (cheap), try both and see which one you like more.

Comment

I went with seafoam color.
                          If you have ever been diving and peered off, that is close to the color you see, until you swim under a boat or something else creates a large shadow, then it gets eerie.
                          Seafoam doesn't contrast the sheen of algae that keeps the lawnmower blenny and the snails happy.
                          Sea green for me.
                          39g Crypt/ anubias, wild shrimp and minnows.

55g Reef- first salt in many many years, coming along. Looking great, and stable. Garden mix of soft/lps corals. DIY refugeum

20g Reef- different than the first by design.

Comment

Is there a special paint for tanks or can you use any paint ive been wanting to paint my 55gl black.?
                            Out of the hobby for now..

Comment

Originally posted by Mandocruz06 View Post
                              Is there a special paint for tanks or can you use any paint ive been wanting to paint my 55gl black.?
                              You can use spray paint. Or and oil based paint it sticks very good. You just need to clean it first of all contaminates.
                              Custom Aquarium Cabinets Justin Henry 281-739-8723

Comment

Working...
                              X