• sulawesi crossbreed

saw this at chinese forum...
    cross breed between cardinal and Caridina sp. YELLOW CHEEK BEE
    they got interesting yellow legs lol...

Dear god!

Do I need to set up another tank? :(
    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

This is why I keep one species per tank . . . thanks for sharing, madugo!
      Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
      Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
      Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
      Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
        Dear god!

Do I need to set up another tank? :(
        time to act man...

Comment

Originally posted by armthehomeless View Post
          This is why I keep one species per tank . . . thanks for sharing, madugo!
          i know it's wrong, but somehow i think crossbreed these guys and create new stuff is kinda cool lol..

Comment

I don't know if it's wrong either.

Discus get /crossinterbreed all the time.

Personally, I don't like cross/interbreed fishes....

Hence why I like keeping tropheus and petros.
            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

My perspective;

If the crossbreed has a chance of survival if re-introduced, then it should not be bred.
              If cross-breeding brings about "deformed offspring", then it shouldn't be done.

Some species interbreed all the time. Look at white and black crappie around here. There are almost as many hybrid populations as there are pure populations. This is a naturally occurring process.

I don't consider those pictures to be "deformed". I also don't think any of the cherries/crystals/sulawesi shrimp to be potential threats to our environment if released.

We also have to consider that most of our shrimp are probably highly in-bred. Most of us get our shrimp from the extra offspring of someone else. Our shrimp grow up and have babies, and we sell those babies to someone else, who then grow them up and have babies of their own. There is not an "F-#" generation list kept with shrimp. With this in mind, the shrimp side of the hobby is fairly irresponsible with breeding efforts already. Is crossing species really that much more damaging?

The entire concept of the cherry shrimp is nothing more than selective inbreeding. The wild form of the cherry shrimp is drab brown... With all this said, I don't think throwing a ton of species together just to see what happens is a good idea. If people want to responsibly experiment with shrimp, I think that's ok. As long as the hybrid individuals cannot make it into the wild and affect a natural population.

Fish is another story... just don't do it.
              Last edited by Sea-agg09; 07-17-2011, 12:18 AM.
              75 planted (Being Renovated)
              Endlers
              gobies
              lots of nanos

Comment

I agree!

I love these shrimps and been wanting to set up a tank for them.

But I'm still debating all planted tank or a sulawesi set up.
                I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Most shrimps are interbred and crossbred like crazy. Red cherry shrimp, yellow shrimp, and snowball shrimp are the same shrimp just bred for certain color attributes. Crystal red shrimp have some crazy things done to them. A mutant crystal red shrimp even won at a shrimp show (yes they have those) a few months ago. Many people like them. I don't have a problem with them personally. They aren't dyed or injected. I like sulawesi shrimp because they have all thse interesting patterns naturally - without selective breeding. It will certainly be interesting to see what people come up with, but I won't be keeping them.
                  Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                  Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                  Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                  Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Working...
                  X