Angels or Discus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angels or Discus

I set up my 55 gallon aquarium last week and I know I want to do a Community South American Tank. I currently have 9 cardinal tetras, 4 blue rams and 3 Cories and blue dragon gobie which I know is not a SA species but i am kind of stuck with him. I can't decide to go with Angels or Discus or maybe mix the two species. I have read that they should not be kept with each other. Also I would prefer to have a natural looking planted tank with some driftwood. All comments and Ideas welcome.

Has your tank cycled?

What and how much filtration are you running?
    Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Since you already bought cardinal tetras, I would suggest Discus. Angelfish will eat the cardinals.

Comment

Not sure how to tell if tank has cycled? If I get Discus I will probably wait until Christmas or so. My filtration is an external filter for 40-70 gallon tanks with bio, mech, and chem filtration again if I get discus I will add another filter for water quality.

Comment

I know people mix angels and discus but I would strongly urge you not to as angels are more aggressive than discus and in a tank that small there isnt much places for the discus to go. If you go with discus make sure you read up on them and are capable of properly caring for them. They are a very picky fish and water parameters need to be right otherwise you will just be draining money. Angelfish are much more forgiving, however, since you have cardinals they will pick them one by one. You really need larger tetras in a tank with angelfish.
          Resident fish bum
          330G FOWLR
          34G Reef
          330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
          28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
          Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

I have read up on discus alot this last week and the price and their picky water parameters got me thinking about angels. My water is also pretty hard for discus mid and upper 7's but it has been very consistent so far.

I also read that if I buy some younger, smaller angels they will not bother my cardinals as they get older.

Comment

I read the same thing. I bought my angels at quarter size. When they got big enough, They killed all my Serpae tetras. I still have black neons in the tank, but they hide most of the time. They wont even go to the surface for food anymore .

Comment

You can keep discus in hard water. I have but you won't successfully breed them.
                Resident fish bum
                330G FOWLR
                34G Reef
                330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

I wouldn't keep angels and discus in the same tank.
                  Mainly because the angels tend to eat all the food before the discus got to them.
                  angels also seem to love to eat cardinal tetras. Somehow discus tend to be a bit slower and tend not to be able to catch the tetras.
                  You can try to get adult cardinals, or like you say, grow out young angels with smaller tetras. By the time the angels grow up, the tetras too will be large enough to not get eaten easily.
                  www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Working...
                  X