Discus in Hard Water 7.4-7.6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discus in Hard Water 7.4-7.6

I just got a 55 gallon aquarium and eventually want to have some discus. My tank has been set up for about 3 days and my Ph is about 7.5. Will this be suitable for Discus?

Yes, you can keep discus in hard water with a high pH. However, you cannot breed them as the eggs will not hatch in hard water.

Terry

Comment

Hard water is fine for discus, don't try to change it or the pH. Lots of water changes with consistent water parameters are the key. To breed (or rather, hatch) discus or keep wild discus thriving, you'll be better off going with Reverse Osmosis. Otherwise any domestic discus should be happy.

Are you transferring filter material from an established tank, or starting from scratch? 3 days isn't nearly long enough for a cycle to complete, discus will need a well established tank
      -Luke

Comment

mine are in 7.8.
        The will be fine as long as the parameters do not fluctuate.

Make sure the tank is fully cycled before adding fish.
        www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Thanks for the info. I am starting from scratch and don't plan on adding discus until probably around christmas after I have all my other community fish set and the tank established.

Comment

IMO...fish will do what they want to. Discus are pretty hardy fish if the water is clean. Ph/Gh/Kh are not huge issues with my discus. I have gotten wigglers but never gone free swimming due to the tetras and other discus. But they have fertilized and hatched from straight tap water no aging. So just pick some good stock and let nature do it's thing
            Chef~PIER 61 SEAFOOD

150G~discus and altums

Comment

Originally posted by birdyman23 View Post
              Thanks for the info. I am starting from scratch and don't plan on adding discus until probably around christmas after I have all my other community fish set and the tank established.
              If you're starting Christmas or so just make sure the water temp is controlled. I believe that is one consensus that everyone who keep discus can make is that they like it pretty warm. I keep mine at 84F.
              Chef~PIER 61 SEAFOOD

150G~discus and altums

Comment

Working...
              X