Spending the weekend on Trinity Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spending the weekend on Trinity Bay

I'm planning on doing a bit of fishing. I'm mostly interested in using the cast net to see what critters I can find. Anyone have any knowledge of what I can expect to catch? I caught a little gray/silver fish with faint lateral bars and yellow fins already. I'll be taking pictures of any cool guys I find. Just in case anyone is interested. Fun weekend!

I was throwing the cast net last week and caught mostly small piggy perch and a couple mullet even 2 halfbeaks. good times. let us know what you grab.
    25g - Reef
    3.5g - Surge Tank
    10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

I caught more than a few mullet, a few crabs, shrimp a freaking SQUID! lol But that isn't the best part. I caught a freakin PUFFER! Holy crap I almost shat myself. He was all puffed up in my net making squeaking noises. He is tan colored with black specks on the top of him. Kinda like he has pepper all over him. Absolutely adorable. I caught a few other fish I couldnt identify. I'll have pictures tomorrow. So much fun.

Comment

After looking up what You caught, I caught a couple piggy perch too. The one I caught the most of looks sort of like a hatchet fish. I'm not sure at all what it is. I need to up m y species identification skills.

Comment

Here is what the puffer looks like.

Sphoeroides parvus

Comment

Here the little guy is

Comment

Dang! you caught all kinds of cool stuff!! the hatchet fish are most likely menhaden to me. Did you keep the puffer?
              25g - Reef
              3.5g - Surge Tank
              10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

I really did want to. I had to throw him back. I couldnt keep him in a bait bucket until Tuesday when I go home. Also, I'm pretty sure it requires brackish water and I don't have a setup for him. I really really wanted to keep him. He was adorable.

Comment

Working...
                X