450 gallon setup. HELP NEEDED!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 450 gallon setup. HELP NEEDED!!

Starting a 450 gallon saltwater tank soon. So far I have the tank on a stand, a 110 gallon tank to use as a sump, and a "model 12" pump. The guy said it's supposed to push around 1200gph (planning to be used as a return pump). The tank also has two holes drilled in the bottom (one toward each end) but they're currently sealed. I wanted to reopen them to create a circular flow (something like that?) I read it was good to get all the nastiness from the bottom flowing to the top. I also was considering a pm external skimmer from someone selling here on the forum. I'm not really sure how that'll work so I need a lot of help. I was originally planning to have a skimmer inside the sump but if the external one will work easily then I'll just do that. All comments, suggestions, help is welcome! Thanks. I'll hopefully get some pictures up soon!

First out the skimmer in the sump. If it goes nuts like skimmers can do from time to time you're protected. Also what type of powerheads are you planning on using? What are your planns fowlr or reef
    Custom Aquarium Cabinets Justin Henry 281-739-8723

Comment

Another thing how long have you been keeping a saltwater tank for?

Comment

A helluva tank if first saltwater setup

Comment

Originally posted by semper View Post
          A helluva tank if first saltwater setup
          Yeah it would be a helluva way to start into saltwater huh. Go big or go home huh lol

Comment

If first time doing salt would not dare go that big

Lots of $$$ to throw down the drain

Unless its fish only and even then some fish can get up there in price

Comment

450 gallons man I am jealous....
              Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Alright for that tank,

2x vortech mp60 es
                1x reef devil skimmer, I can't remember the model of their really big one.
                Upgrade that pump to a reeflo dart, nasty flow.
                I would use a mag 12 on maybe a 125g, but it lacks substantially in flow for a 450g.
                The mag 12 I would use on the skimmer.
                Definatly would do dual intakes at each end on the sump with a filter sock on all of them.

For lighting, either led cannons or a few 400watt metal halides, or a combination of both.

Hope this helps.
                Last edited by TaTeR ToT; 06-30-2011, 08:42 AM.
                FRENCH FRY!!!

55g - Vieja Synspilum 'Biotope'

Comment

Back to the real world... What is your budget? That's the main question before start pointing what you need.

Comment

You really dont need to return pump to have a lot of flow. I run a Iwaki 40 on my 330G, which is barely 2.5x turnover per hour. You want it to actually go slow so it can properly do the Nitrogen cycle, especially if you put cheato or other plants. If you are going to open the bottom holes, you can not let it drain into the sump. It can only be done through a closed loop system otherwise if the power goes out and if it drains into the sump then 400G will drain down there. A lot of skimmers can either be in or out of the sump. If the skimmer is the one I am selling as much as I would like to sell my stuff the Bullet 2 is not big enough for your tank unless you keep the bio-load low and dont keep a lot of fish. Its rated for a 250G tank. Lighting will depend on what you want to keep in the tank. If you want you can come take a look at my set-up to get some ideas and how I plumbed my tank.
                    Resident fish bum
                    330G FOWLR
                    34G Reef
                    330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                    28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                    Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

wow, lots of replies pretty quick! thanks guys. let's see if i can do this replying correctly. lol.

Originally posted by jhenry View Post
                      First out the skimmer in the sump. If it goes nuts like skimmers can do from time to time you're protected. Also what type of powerheads are you planning on using? What are your planns fowlr or reef
                      yea, so far i've read "in sump" skimmers work better but why is that? is it just in case the power goes out or something and it won't flood easily? also, dad first said he wanted fish only since having a reef would cost more but now he wants some corals too so i'd probably want it to be reef-safe just in case

Another thing how long have you been keeping a saltwater tank for?
                      Yeah it would be a helluva way to start into saltwater huh. Go big or go home huh lol
                      lol, have never had a saltwater tank. we're planning on just setting up and picking fish. we'll have someone come to do maintenance once or twice a month. i have 3 freshwater tanks myself though even though they aren't much =P

Originally posted by semper View Post
                      If first time doing salt would not dare go that big

Lots of $$$ to throw down the drain

Unless its fish only and even then some fish can get up there in price
                      yea, at first my dad wanted to do fish only but now he wants some corals too to add color so the tank won't be so boring

Originally posted by sunkenmetal View Post
                      450 gallons man I am jealous....
                      originally just planned to do a 200 gallon but found this one kinda cheap and just jumped on it!

Originally posted by TaTeR ToT View Post
                      Alright for that tank,

2x vortech mp60 es
                      1x reef devil skimmer, I can't remember the model of their really big one.
                      Upgrade that pump to a reeflo dart, nasty flow.
                      I would use a mag 12 on maybe a 125g, but it lacks substantially in flow for a 450g.
                      The mag 12 I would use on the skimmer.
                      Definatly would do dual intakes at each end on the sump with a filter sock on all of them.

For lighting, either led cannons or a few 400watt metal halides, or a combination of both.

Hope this helps.
                      lol thanks. i actually have no idea what half of that stuff is. i know the metal halides are the really good lights for the corals but that's about it!

Originally posted by mgarrido View Post
                      Back to the real world... What is your budget? That's the main question before start pointing what you need.
                      i'm actually not sure. all my dad said was to try to get everything together and set it up sometime this weekend (or maybe by the end of next week)

Originally posted by Darbex View Post
                      You really dont need to return pump to have a lot of flow. I run a Iwaki 40 on my 330G, which is barely 2.5x turnover per hour. You want it to actually go slow so it can properly do the Nitrogen cycle, especially if you put cheato or other plants. If you are going to open the bottom holes, you can not let it drain into the sump. It can only be done through a closed loop system otherwise if the power goes out and if it drains into the sump then 400G will drain down there. A lot of skimmers can either be in or out of the sump. If the skimmer is the one I am selling as much as I would like to sell my stuff the Bullet 2 is not big enough for your tank unless you keep the bio-load low and dont keep a lot of fish. Its rated for a 250G tank. Lighting will depend on what you want to keep in the tank. If you want you can come take a look at my set-up to get some ideas and how I plumbed my tank.
                      would the pump i have be enough for a closed loop? i was thinking about doing a closed loop with the two open holes in the bottom to encourage some type of movement from water at the bottom of the tank toward the top. that's supposed to help circulate and keep the water more clean right? and what's cheato? i actually have no idea what i want to put into the sump. from what i've seen at other pet shops, they usually have some live rock and some type of algae growing. the skimmer i was looking at was the one for sale by fishlover79. i think it's an external but from what i've been reading, an internal would be better right? my dad wants to keep big fish in the tank since it's such a big tank. he also wants to do some corals for coloration in the tank. and sure, i'd love to come take a look. when would be a good time?

Comment

i also took some pictures of the tank last night, let me figure out a way to post them up

Comment

I think the most important piece of advice is to go slow. If you rush it, it'll crash twice as fast. Do a shi+ ton of research and ask lots of questions. Side note, me personally, I would never cycle with fish...
                          20g mixed reef

Comment

oh no, i was planning to cycle the tank with just water and live rock/sand alone. don't wanna add fish until maybe after a month or so (i've read that was a good time frame to wait)

Comment

Well I'd add a fresh uncooked table shrimp and buy a test kit. Then just test every so often. Watch for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate spikes. When all have spiked and all have returned to 0, then and only then are you ready to SLOWLY add livestock. Are you gonna start with base rock or live rock?
                              20g mixed reef

Comment

Working...
                              X