Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frontosa tank

to be updated...
    Last edited by jkfuel; 10-07-2011, 09:23 PM.

How big are those ? They look like they are only about 4" to 5" . How long have you had these fish ?

Comment

What are lake spots?
      Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
      Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
      Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
      Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Per tr6 from frontosa.com

"You can't tell[WC or not] by looking at them.

There are some indicator's but they are not each time.

The example of lake spots is a good one.
        Many wild frontosa will come in with black spots on them, we can debate what they are, but many have them.
        Problem, not all wilds come with them, so if missing, one can't say the fish is NOT wild.
        But if you buy a group, and some have spots, you could then with some certainty say your group is wild.
        Though yes, it could be a group of wild and non wild.

Next is mooning.
        Mooning is where, at the top of the third or fourth black stripe there is a white Y, or a white spot before it gets to the dorsal fin.
        A spot without black pigment.

For whatever reason, inbreeding, diet, water quality etc.
        Its rare that wild fish have it, though i have seen some.

Its usually from tank raised, though of course, not all tank raised have it.

So if you see a fish that has mooning and zero lake spots, you may want to keep walking.
        If you see a fish with mooning and has lake spots, you may want to think about purchasing or not.

Best bet, a fish with zero mooning, and HAS THE LAKE spots.
        You can be pretty sure its wild, and if it looks the way you want, buy it.

I'm not telling people that if the fish has mooning and no lake spots that it is a bad fish.
        Simply this is somewhat of a indicator to help narrow in if a frontosa is wild or not."

Comment

That may be the smallest wild caughts I've ever seen.

Nice looking fish.

Comment

4-6" is not bad.

I seen smaller on WC list from reputable importers all the time.

Jk,

Fish looks good man! I see you into the exotic stuff. Keep me updated on the zebras! I got dibs on fry. :)
            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

back in the days, WC Zaire Blue Frontosa came different sizes up to 12"+ ... nowaday most are 4-6 in... you can ship more fish to a box from the lake

Also the lake spot on them are fish from WC ... back when I use to order from African Aquatics some came in w/ lake spot
              20 gal CRS
              137 gal Lake Tanganyika

Comment

Nice looking group there. Dave, I had the same thought as you about size, but Laif commonly has 3-4 inch WC Fronts on his stocklist. Alison once told me that they are shipping smaller fish due to cargo and fuel costs. As far as the spot thing goes I have noticed those on a number of my trophs as well. Only on the WC, never on fry and I agree that is pretty good indicator that a fish is WC.

Good luck with that colony JK
                120g - Tropheus Moorii Kambwimba
                180g - Petrochromis Macrognathus Dine/Tropheus Moorii Namansi I

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains"....Winston Churchill

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm"....Winston Churchill

Comment

when I got my wc mobas back in 2005 they had spots. they disappeared about 2 years later. what I heard causes these spots are from being bagged up for many hours making the long trip over from Lake T. these spots are ammonia burns. that's what was explained to me many years ago.
                  180g Oceanic w/colony of 8 WC Moba Fronts (1m/7f) purchased from TNT Cichlids in Jan '05 & numerous fry. 1 F1 adult moba male. 2 2217 Eheims, 2 6080 Tunze Streams, WISA airpump, single stage Johnson ETC.....fishkeeping since 1988.

Comment

[QUOTE=RonR.;526226]when I got my wc mobas back in 2005 they had spots. they disappeared about 2 years later. what I heard causes these spots are from being bagged up for many hours making the long trip over from Lake T. these spots are ammonia burns. that's what was explained to me many years ago.[/QUOTE]

+1

This is what I had read several years back , also .

Comment

Beautiful fish! I'm kinda partial though

Comment

Working...
                      X