Guess I'm doing something right -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guess I'm doing something right -

Ok I got a group of 14 discus on Saturday and two are laying eggs as I type so I guess they are happy, and I'm doing something right.

My question is a few still have some stress bars and one is not eating enough to satisfy me... The smallest one of course so I'm getting worried about it. Should I pull it and put it in a separate tank? Give it some more time? (would be a new setup cause I have a few dry tanks they just are not up post move)

Can you post some pics? Provide some tank specs?

Mark
    What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

I agree with Mark more info is needed.
      Resident fish bum
      330G FOWLR
      34G Reef
      330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
      28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
      Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

1+...I would love to see a full tank shot. Discus are pretty hardy despite what people say. They will lay eggs even in hard water. They will even hatch if they are domestics in Houston water non-aged. The problem is keeping other fish from eating fry.
        Chef~PIER 61 SEAFOOD

150G~discus and altums

Comment

I agree some pictures would be awesome :)
          Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

I would not remove smallest fish. The are very social, so putting one by itself will possibly cause more stress to the singled out fish. Naturally there is a pecking order, so if you take out smallest one, you may have the pack pick out a new smallest one to pick on. But with 14, I am surprised they pick on one. Seems like a big number of fish to be singling out one fish.

And nature signals the time to spawn with the heavy cool rain that falls. Some books will note that a larger than normal water change, or one with cooler than normal will induce spawning in discus that are already paired up. So a new water chemistry and temperature from where there are used to being kept could induce a spawn attempt.

The above is my opinion only.

Please give tank size, temp, water parameters, lighting schedule, and feed info.

Comment

Sorry guys - I spaced out and forgot about this post. And didn't see it on participated till just now --

Actually they are doing great now- I have 9 in the main tank - two in a qt tank. The two in qt one is doing much better one just holding - treated with paraguard and clean water since.

The first two I lost were the tiny stunted ones that probably were not eating when they got here. And the other was a large emaciated pepprered pigeon blood. He was in qt and slightly eating but died on day one of paraguard. The one getting better in qt was emaciated and had a pimple above eye he/she is filling out and eats well now.

I do think almost all of these are stunted (most are around 4 inchers) - I do have two that have paired off a checkerboard pigeon and brillant that lay eggs often but don't really have the hang of it yet. Largest two of the tank at 5" and 6".

Tank had an algae bloom (as I added the plants) but the plants are winning - lots of new growth! Just trying to wait out the rest of it. BN plecos are helping too - tank was finally stable enough to take them out of separate qt tank. They were in shrimp tank cause they came with shrimp from same supplier but didnt need/want 8 in a 10 gallon.

Comment

Ok tank is a 150 gallon - water change 40% every other day. Water is really hard!! Part of the pairs problem. The light is 4 80watt T5's, on a timer. Have not hooked up co2 yet (have everything but co2 tank) - plants are outgrowing the algae as of now (plant person advised me to just wait it out so long as plants having new growth)

Am now doing 50% of refill water is RO DI water.

Comment

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1312417035.627287.jpg

This is a horrible picture but in the middle is the three that died (two little and the pigeon) and the one in qt doing much better is the one on the left

Comment

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1312417213.690945.jpg

Only current shot I have and it's none of the discus but my Bolivian pair is doing great - fry 4 days old now. Parents doing great job defending them.

I will get a pic of some of this group tomorrow - lights will be going off as I get home tonight.

Comment

Here are my new babies (now that I know better!) in a 58. Red cover and blue Turq - ImageUploadedByTapatalk1312417485.608086.jpg

Comment

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1312417534.164063.jpg

They get fed 5-8 times daily and 50-75% water change daily.

Comment

Just curious but changing 50-75% of the water daily keep the tank in a constant cycle?
                          125g: Empty For Now
                          90g: Planted S.A.

“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.”
                          Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

The filter is cycled. you could change 90% as long as the filter is cycled.
                            Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Originally posted by troy tucker View Post
                              The filter is cycled. you could change 90% as long as the filter is cycled.
                              +1
                              http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

Working...
                              X