My Cardinal Shrimp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Cardinal Shrimp

Well here they are. All three of them. They seem very happy but are looking for some additional buddies to hand out with. The water parameters are spot on. I may remove some of the plants when I get more specimens.

Austex
    Attached Files

I would remove the fish before it snack on expensive shrimp.

Comment

The rasbora shouldn't mess with the adult shrimp, but you aren't going to get any babies out of them. I would say scrap the hornwart and duckweed at the top, and add some java moss to the bottom. Cardinals are very shy little buggers, and they love to hide. I have about 20 in my 20long, but I see maybe 4 or 5 at any given time. Java moss will give them something to pick around in, and hiding places will encourage breeding and increase your survival rate. Also keeping the rasbora well fed will discourage him from eating on the babies. If he has to work too hard for food he is going to start going after the good stuff.

What's your pH and kH sitting at? And what is your water change schedule?
      75 planted (Being Renovated)
      Endlers
      gobies
      lots of nanos

Comment

My PH is 8 and my KH is around 150 (based on a color strip). I am using Aragonite as my substrate. I change out about two gallons a week (14g tank). These shrimp are not shy and I see all three of them regularly. I was wondering if the Rasboras would become a problem, but I like the way they swim around the tank. However, the main goal of my set up is to be a cardinal shrimp tank.

I would like to add more specimens, but these buggers are not easy to find. Just saw that Rama had some for sale one the one day I did not check the for sale section

I am going to San Francisco in two weeks and I am planing on buying some more shrimp. Let me know if any one would like to swap a few shrimp in order to infuse some new genes into their colony.

Austex

Comment

Just added 7 more Cardinals and 3 more rabbit snails. The fish are getting the boot this weekend. I am also adding an UV sterilizer to help prevent any nasty parasites or bacterial infections.

Picture soon.
          Last edited by Austex; 06-29-2011, 08:26 PM.

Comment

been thinking about getting some too, where did you get the shrimp?
            25g - Reef
            3.5g - Surge Tank
            10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

I bought them from Phong on Aquabid. He has a very healthy colony. I visited with him at his home and Union City, CA. He breeds multiples types of shrimp in his garage. He is an absolute wizard with them. You will not go wrong if you buy your Cardinals from him.

Austex

Comment

Working...
              X