San Marcos Trip - May 21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Marcos Trip - May 21

Please note, this trip is intended for "members" (meaning, you've paid your dues and I've got you on the roster). Some of the DFW'ers are bringing family members, but these family members are also club members. This hasn't really been discussed much, but if you want to discuss it, contact me or Kevin.

Unless you are carpooling from Houston, we'll meet up at the Aquarena Center at 11:00 am on May 21 in San Marcos with the DFWAPC group. We'll tour a bit, etc... and head to Saltgrass for lunch.

We'll be eating lunch aroung 12:30 at the Saltgrass at 221 E SESSOMS DR. It's less than a mile from the aquarena and is on the river. We can even do some collecting there without even leaving the parking lot!

This will be the second and LAST spot to meet up for the collection trip. Lunch will not be provided by the club. Please come prepared to purchase you own lunch (or bring one with you).
    Here is the Lunch Menu with prices included for the San Marcus location.

'After lunch collecting' will go on as long as you want it to (unless you rode with someone ). There are many who are making a weekend trip out of this.

So far I've got 4 confirmed going (and there are at least a dozen from DFW)! Let me or Kevin know if you will, or if you might. We need to let Saltgrass know how many to prepare for.

-Dave
    Last edited by davemonkey; 05-10-2011, 04:26 PM.
    Houston Area Aquatic Plant Society
    Also follow us on Facebook and APC

'Sorry to miss this, Dave. Pick me up some fissidens if you find lots of it. By any chance, is anyone taking any water test kits with them to see what the parameters are? Maybe a handheld PH meter? I'd be curious to know what the conditions are.

Albert

Comment

I have to work boooooo
      ADA mini-m planted
      ADA mini-m riparium
      ADA 30-C nano reef
      ADA 90-P community Tanganyikan
      ADA 120-p overflow Full reef in progress
      Eheim 90cm SA biotope
      110g Peacocks

Comment

The trip was a BLAAAAAAST! There were 6 HAAPS members (2 from out of town) and 12 from DFW. Including some kiddos that came along, we had about 20 people there in our group. Albert I did pick you up some Fissidens. I'll be bringing it to Kevin's on the 28th for our "official" meeting. We didn't do any water testing, but that would have been a great idea. One of the things we were discussing was why the plants perform so well in the first mile or two of the river. I'd LOVE to know pH, KH, and CO2 concentration. It'd also be fun to take a flow meter to see what we'd have to do in our home aquaria to mimic the river flow. Perhaps we can get a test kit together for a future trip next year (or maybe some one has this data already that we can find...TPWD maybe? ).

Anyway, we saw a wonderful variety of plants in great health and some awesome fish (even Texas cichlids breeding). Despite the drought, the river is flowing in full force, maybe a few inches low, but you wouldn't know it.

-Dave

Comment

Dave, thanks! You do know that 28th is on Memorial Day Weekend, yes? I may be in Austin, so I may want to see if I can get it from you sometime during the week. I work close to the Med Center/Greenway Plaza, hopefully you are somewhere close, else I can drive to Pearland. I'll let you know Mon, or Tue for sure. Again, thanks for getting some for me.

BTW, any pics of the trip?

Albert

Comment

I think Kevin may have gotten some pics? I forgot my camera. :( Bill, from DFW took many photos and posted them on APC in the DFWAPC subforum.

HA! No, I'm nowhere near that area...I live in Liberty (about 45 miles East of Beltway 8 and I-10). The only time I'm in Houston Area is our monthly meetings. If you won't be at the meeting, it would probably be easier (and cheaper) for me to mail it to you.

Comment

Hi Dave, unfortunately (or not), I will not be able to attend the meeting as I will be in Austin for the Memorial Day weekend. Please, if you don't mind, mail it to me and let me know how much it is and I will reimburse you. PM me for address.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X