Ich Frustration...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ich Frustration...

Hey everyone, so I recently purchased a yellow angel and a beautiful harlequin sweetlips from Aquarium World (will not ever be going there again) because now both of my purchases have come down with ich. -_-
    I've dealt with ich before but havent had the issue in almost 2 years.
    I'm super frustrated and I was wondering if anyone has used the "hyposalinity" cure mentioned on several websites,where one lowers the salinity to kill off the protozoan ich.
    I've already added copper (cuz i have a fowlr-not a reef) which has seemingly no affect to the ich problem. I've also read that one shouldn't do both hyposalinity and ich at the same time, but im posting here to get as many viewpoints as possible. Mainly I just want to know if anyone has had a fish come down with ich, and seen a full recovery and what did you do to get to the full recovery.

Thanks!

Thats cray. I guess its different for freshwater where one thing to do is add salt and turn up the temp...
    Forget the dog.
    Beware of fish!
    :ertrink:

Comment

All I ever do is buy a clove of garlic from grocery store & put a few pieces in food processor. put some in a small bowl & crush the crap out of it with a spoon. Add food, stir & let it soak for 10 minutes then feed to fish. Do that for every meal & it will go away. Do not stop when you see it lessen, wait a week after it is completely gone.
      748 gallon Reef Lit by 22 AI's

Comment

I have only ever done copper treatment and it worked. Be careful though... critters in your live rock will start to die and foul your water. Keep a close eye on your water parameters to make sure nothing changes too drastically.

Keep the treatment up even though you don't see anything happening. The parasite's lifecycle can be weeks to months. You can only kill them when they are free swimming, so pretty much you have to keep up the copper treatment to kill the babies and at the same time waiting for the adults to die of old age. As long as it doesn't get worse (i.e more adults are popping up on your fish), it means that the copper is successfully killing them while they are free swimming before they settle on the fish.
        www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Thanks for the advice...I did the garlic and the copper and raised the temperature {it quickens the parasites life cycle} (oh and I know I posted this along time ago and that I'm just replying now-really late) but I figure that eventually someone might wanna read this if they get ich
          Good news!! The ich eventually went away but the fish died a few weeks after...probably stress? (harlequins are known to die randomly too)
          oh well I'm still gunn a celebrate it as my first victory against ich

Comment

Working...
          X