Wild Green Discus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wild Green Discus

Here's some pictures of my 2 wild green discus symphysodon aquefesciatius and a couple of zebra plecos. This is my first shot at keeping wilds so let's hope for the best. They looked like green discus when I was at HAW, but they are starting to look alot like Red Spotted Greens. They are eating like pigs but only BWs right now. I will acclimate them to flakes and pellets slowly. I will post more pics once they join the herd.

Mark, do they look similar to your RSGs?

I'm contemplating about converting to a wilds only tank but the problem is that I have mated proven pairs. I'd hate to give those up
    Chef~PIER 61 SEAFOOD

150G~discus and altums

Beautiful fish. I like the wild discus better than the tank breed
    Custom Aquarium Cabinets Justin Henry 281-739-8723

Comment

Those are RSG for sure they are a lower grade due to the size and quantity of spots. But still beautiful. Did you get them from HAW? Be careful with BW as they have no real nutritional value. I would ween them off fast or start soaking them in vitamins.
      Resident fish bum
      330G FOWLR
      34G Reef
      330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
      28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
      Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Sweet! I love RSGs.
        Those look like L129's? Columbian Zebras?
        www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darbex View Post
          Those are RSG for sure they are a lower grade due to the size and quantity of spots. But still beautiful. Did you get them from HAW? Be careful with BW as they have no real nutritional value. I would ween them off fast or start soaking them in vitamins.
          Yes sir I did get them at HAW. And these are the 4" guys. Johns got some dinner plate size greens over there right now. I like my discus big enough that they aren't stunted and still room left to grow
          Chef~PIER 61 SEAFOOD

150G~discus and altums

Comment

Originally posted by Chef View Post
            I'm contemplating about converting to a wilds only tank but the problem is that I have mated proven pairs. I'd hate to give those up
            Time to set up another tank!
            135 gal Fahaka Puffer
            150 gal Threadfin Acaras, Angels, Red Spotted Severum, Gold Severum, and a Silver Dollar
            185 gal Demasoni, Yellow Labs, Venustus, Rustys, Plecos, Clown Loaches, and Sharks

Comment

I will take those proven pairs off your hands to help you make room. You can pick em back up any time you choose!!!! No boarding fee will be charged... Its all outta my pocket!!! 8^)

Comment

Originally posted by Tetranerd View Post
                I will take those proven pairs off your hands to help you make room. You can pick em back up any time you choose!!!! No boarding fee will be charged... Its all outta my pocket!!! 8^)
                Thanks for the offer sir but I'd miss them too much. Unless you're wanting to buy. ;-)
                Chef~PIER 61 SEAFOOD

150G~discus and altums

Comment

Undetstood....just wanted to offer up if you needed the extra room. 8^)

Comment

I also just picked up some wild green Tefes. Arrived from the wholeseller on Thursday and directly into my tank...no mixing with the LFS water

Comment

Did you QT them? Unless you know the seller puts them through med treatment their is a high likelihood they will be carrying parasites.
                      Resident fish bum
                      330G FOWLR
                      34G Reef
                      330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                      28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                      Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Mine are still in qt. I'm keeping a close eye
                        Chef~PIER 61 SEAFOOD

150G~discus and altums

Comment

Did you get those green tefes locally??

Comment

Originally posted by Chef View Post
                            Here's some pictures of my 2 wild green discus symphysodon aquefesciatius and a couple of zebra plecos. This is my first shot at keeping wilds so let's hope for the best. They looked like green discus when I was at HAW, but they are starting to look alot like Red Spotted Greens. They are eating like pigs but only BWs right now. I will acclimate them to flakes and pellets slowly. I will post more pics once they join the herd.

Mark, do they look similar to your RSGs?

Yes, they look like my RSGs. Very nice!.. and great that they're eating well. I'd try them on other foods. Hopefully they're not terribly finicky and will accept a balanced diet. Did you get those from snook?

Mark
                            What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by Darbex View Post
                              Did you QT them? Unless you know the seller puts them through med treatment their is a high likelihood they will be carrying parasites.
                              No, probably should have, but I really don't have the space. I actually find wilds to be heartier than domestics. Previous wilds survived Katrina, my domestics did not.

Originally posted by morillonj View Post
                              Did you get those green tefes locally??
                              Locally for me...New Orleans/Baton Rouge LA, but we have a pretty good group that travels to Houston for the auctions and such. I actually used to live in Houston as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X